Battery charging issue on G4 ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Studawg7, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Studawg7 macrumors regular

Past few days my 1GHz G4 ibook has been acting strange. When I plug in the power adapter to the ibook sometimes it wont change the battery even though the orange indicator is on and the battery charge icon is not shown in the upper right corner of my desktop toolbar. It shows that the ibook is still running off of the battery. If i twist the power adapter plug on the ibook side sometimes the icon will say it is charging. I have played around with the adapter to make sure there isnt an issue there. So far i think its inside my ibook.

So here are my questions:

Is this a problem anyone else has come across before? If so, is there an easy solution. It is under warranty but I cant send it to apple yet, i have exams next week and cant part with it.

How fast is apple at repairing and sending units back?

2. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm no comments but 21 views

i suppose im the first, but does anyone have any experience sending their *book back to apple? what was your experience?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So the little probe thing coming out of the adaptor isn't bent? It sounds like a loose connection but I'm not sure why it would be an actual iBook issue, not that it definitely isn't. You haven't had something like a power surge recently while the iBook was plugged in, have you? Is there anyone else around with an iBook whose charger you can borrow? That way you'll be able to tell if it's your iBook or the adaptor.

Good luck with your exams. :)

4. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks mad jew

the center post of the adapter plug is straight. i did notice this morning that the cylinder around the post had a slight bend in it and i corrected it the best i could. It wasnt a severe bend but a slight one. I dont think that is the issue but i could be wrong. i ll try to find someone with an apple around. kinda tough in an engineering school lol.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I pity you. I did mechanical engineering and there are a scarily large amount of people out there with no taste. Does everyone still wear hiking boots, thick socks, shorts, polar fleeces and mid-90s spec shades all year round?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I sent mine in Monday, got it back Thursday. :D 4 days total without my PowerBook. :(

Pretty damn good if you ask me! But back up your data, they warn you like 3 times and even once on the phone they told me. If something goes wrong in their repairs or they need to clean install OS X, then, well.... you get the idea.