Battery Charging Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macguymike, Jun 3, 2003.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

Recently, I sent my 12-inch PBG4 to Apple to have them replace the Combo drive that had eaten a CD and refused to eject it.

After I got it back (it was gone for just a day - great service!), it worked fine but I noticed it seemed to have a battery power leak problem. It worked fine when plugged in and seemed to charge normally. Now, however, it won't charge at all. I have it currently plugged in and its staying at 96% battery charge but it won't charge any further and the light on the plug is green (which would normally indicate a full battery).

Any thoughts before I call up Apple and ship it back to them again?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Your lucky, I got my iBook back form applecare last week and the battery says 9:50 as time left till full whenever I plug it in .I've had it plugged in for the last week and the charge nevere goes past 50% . I called applecare and the new battery shoudl be here tomorrow.

3. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i know sometimes thew ibooks have battery problems. but as far as this is concerned send it off... get it fixed my a apple tech. it's better to be save the sorry. most likely they'll give you a new battery

4. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I say send it. The charge you good for their stuff and extended warranty is sky high. They better do what they are supposed to and fix it. Not giving them work is exactly what they want from you.

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

My first thought was to wonder if it was possibly a problem with the plug or the jack since the color isn't right.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Re: Battery Charging Issues

Unplug the adapter from the powerbook, and then plug it in again. I thought I read that the charger is smart and lets the battery drop to 95% or something when it is plugged in, i.e. doesn't charge it unless it is below that level. unplugging and replugging it should charge it back up to 100%.

Now, I clearly remember reading that, but I could be wrong. My iBook right now is plugged in and is at 96%, when I get home I will try this and see what happens.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Try resetting the Power management system (PMU), it worked for me a few days ago with the 17".

It'll reset your clock and stuff, but nothing drastic.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
    3. Wait 5 seconds.
    4. Press the power button to restart the computer.

More info from the Apple knowledge bas article:

PowerBook and iBook: Resetting Power Management Unit (PMU)

Article ID:14449

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok this is realyl weird..so i got my replacement battery from applecare and when i asked for one i asked how to cofnigure it and the guy said if it had a charge I was supposed to discharge it then completely recharge it. So right now i have the new one plugged in and its at 0% the status says calculating ...i feel like Kramer going below the E how long will it last...

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Ive had similar issues with the ibook battery...nothing terribly drastic, but minor problems like if its charging and asleep and i wake it the light glows green until i unplug it, wait a minute, then plug it back in.
    i thought about resetting the power thing, but what confused me was the "power" button. does this refer to the physical power button or does it refer to a keyboard style button?
    i am confused.
    totally off topic; i just watched jurassic park and noticed that all the computer in the control room are apple...which is ironic since the kid exclaims its unix....foreshadowing?
    -carly

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Ok, I tried this last night with my iBook. If you do unplug and let the battery go where the power drops to or below 95% and plug it back in, it will charge it back up.

I thought that was by design. Has yours worked similarly yet?

11. Xero macrumors 6502

Re: Battery Charging Issues

this is NORMAL. its perfectly normal, the unit is designed so that the battery doesnt recharge unless it goes below like 95% or so. this is to prevent the battery from constantly charging and ultimatly burning itsself out. this is good that your powerbook is doing this and means its working normal. no need to panic. ;)