Battery Conditioning

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jason.siegel, Jul 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, it was advised several years ago to charge new batteries for 24 hours prior to usage, and then run them through 3 or so full cycles so as to best extend their longevity. Is that advice still current, and/or what is now the best practice for the current Air battery?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

I'm curious too... It seems if you ask 10 people you get 10 answers... lol

3. macrumors 68030

WardC

I always soak my hair in battery-acid conditioner before I shampoo. It gives me that extra glow I am looking for :p

4. macrumors regular

In addition, Apple recommends that the battery be completely drained occasionally - say once per month.

5. macrumors 6502a

I doubt you'll need to do anything once you get your new MBA, but I could be wrong. I think it's best if you go to the Apple store and ask the experts.

But the once a month draining thing should be done, like the previous poster mentioned, especially if you don't use your laptop often.

6. macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. macrumors regular

i asked an apple expert, and they said to drain battery down to 20% or so, not all the way, and then charge it to 100% and it should be good. Do this right from the start

9. macrumors 65816

I try to conditioning the batteries of most things i own and i've always had pretty good success.

When i get a new device

Fully charge it and leave the ac adapter in for some hours after, it won't overcharge

Remove the adapter and let to drain to hypothetical 0% where it goes into sleep mode. Leave it turned off for a while

Then charge back up to 100% without interrupting

Only let it do this once a month or every 2 months.

All other times make an effort to vary where you charge it from.

I.e. for the first few days let it fall from 100 to 70% and recharge

The down to 50% and recharge

Then down to 30% and recharge

I tend to keep it above 30% charge most times letting it completely drain to 0% once a month.

So far most things i've had achieve great battery life.

10. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "expert" is wrong. That's not what Apple recommends. Read the Battery FAQ I posted for Apple's official statements about battery care.
    That's not the proper method for caring for an Apple notebook battery. Rather than make up a procedure of your own, read the Battery FAQ I posted for proper care.