Battery Discharge

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wes, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

My ibook 366 lasts about an hour and ten mins going at full. How do you massage your battery up to respectable levels of usage?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

honestly....I think once your battery stops holding is charge...it's pretty much toast...

at least that's what I've seen with most other portable batteries of people I know...

3. mmcneil macrumors regular

Concur with that opinion, in the past the life of a batter was about 1-1.5 years, depending upon the number of cycles. Not sure about the newest LION types - but I haven't seen any battery utilities (discharge & condition) since apple went to LION.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

yep. when its done, its done. I've tried fully draining the older batteries for my lombard and then fully charging them, and it doesn really help, even though this is how you're supposed to reduced wear and tear I understand

5. mmcneil macrumors regular

I wonder if it is best to NOT constantly charge the batteries? I use my PB as my primary machine and it is plugged in constantly when not on travel.

A fully charged batter seems to keep its charge for weeks - if you believe the little lights:rolleyes:

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the little lights, the little lights that lie :D

last time my PB was charging was on sunday. today I wake it up from sleep (I always have it on sleep) and it goes down to two lights in 5 minutes with the control strip reporting 50 minutes of power left :\

course the batteries are from when it just came out....and its gotten a good beating since then :D

7. mmcneil macrumors regular

Life is short

I haven't stressed my BK PB batteries in a while - used to boast I could go cross country without a problem, working feveriously (or playing) the whole way. I just switched batteries when required. Had a good experience with a G4 PB - lasted 4+ hours on a slow flight along the west coast. The problem seems to be that there is no way to determine the current capacity :confused:

8. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

Does anyone know the best place to find batteries for older laptops? I have a 466 mHz iBook SE and my battery has worn down to near-nothingness.

-ArtMan617