Battery Doctor Pro

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by BeachChair, Apr 25, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Anyone else appalled to see this scamware in the top25 paid apps?

In the description it claims to improve battery charging if you have the app running while your plugged into the charger.
    Thats of course a load of bs, theres no way an app could have any effect on charging.

I'm perplexed by the number of good ratings it's getting from users who claim it works. Are the developers buying their own app en masse to put up good reviews?
    Also the quoted reviews in the description all come from bogus review sites.
    Something fishy is going on.

2. macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with you, an app could not change the way a battery charges. I read the reviews on it and it smells really fishy to me

3. macrumors 68020

John T

Why not try it for yourself? Then you'd be able to give your opinion with some authority. ;)

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because there is no way it could possibly do anything.

I have found a few honest reviews among the many suspicious 5 star reviews, some snippets:

And here are some of the suspicious reviews, mind you there are a lot of 5 star reviews, the app has an impressive (or mindboggling) 4/5 rating:

5. macrumors 604

labman

I agree

this seems like a good App for Apple to take a closer look at and see if it does anything. they should make them sell it as a battery monitor and take away all there reviews. plus credit anybody that want's a refund. don't own it wouldn't own it!

6. macrumors member

Mr Lizard

Well speaking as I find, since installing this I'm getting at least an extra day use.

7. macrumors regular

From the description of helping it do a full cycle charge, I wonder if the app makes the phone nearlly fully discharge before charging back up, saving you the effort of trying to drain the battery yourself to fully discharge it. Even so, not worth paying for to me.

8. macrumors 6502a

Re: Battery Doctor Pro

This app is complete bs. It only use is to record the number of charges. It does not magically alter the chemistry of the battery. Lots of morons believe it does. :(.

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors 6502

travis64

you can get the free one
    i like that it tells you when its really 100%

11. macrumors newbie

I bought the app a while back. Let me tell you this: This app DOES work, but does not extend the battery life up to 2x, only about 2-3 hours. I have my wifi on 24/7 and I'm constantly watching movies (Avg. length of movies are about 1hr 30min), from 2AM to 5AM in bed.

Usually I unplug my iPhone off the charger at 2AM where it's about 100%, watch my movies, blah blah blah, until 5AM or whenever I get done with 3-5 movies a night, my battery is usually at 78% after I'm done. After doing about 2 full cycled charges with the app on, I stop at about 86% battery percentage.

This review is coming from someone who is usually very strict on apps and is not a happy camper. :)