Battery hole filler?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by thi12ty7, Jun 3, 2005.

1. thi12ty7 macrumors newbie

Hi

I heard someone made a plastic type piece to fill in the battery hole when the battery is taken out and using the ac plug. Anyone know what I am talking about and where i can get one? Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firstly, which laptop are you talking about?

Secondly, why would you want to do this? :)

3. thi12ty7 thread starter macrumors newbie

12" powerbook and its just that when i have it on my desk i dont want to over charge the battery and i do not want to keep plugging and unplugging the battery. I just wanted to see if they made a product to fill in the battery slot so it is not uneven

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... I reckon the battery will be fine left in personally. From memory, it's a lithium-based cell which, coupled with Apples 95% charging activation point, should be fine left in the PowerBook. However, each to their own. Sorry, I haven't seen a faux battery before so I'm not much help. :(

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The reason these aren't sold in a lot of locations (if any) is because they would do nothing for you. ;)

Don't bother. You don't need to take off the battery. There's no negatives.

Since you seem to know as much about batteries as much as I do about ballet, I truly and honestly suggest you read the following site before you ever take off your battery again.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Okay, I'm really confused now. You say it doesn't matter if the batt is removed or not. Yet, the linked page says

"Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power."

So, should it be left in or removed? :confused:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. PeterBonnar macrumors member

You know, i alwasy believed it was fine to leave a battery in a laptop even if it was left on charge. I remember my dad asking me if it was o.k. and i said sure it is....

my dad used his laptop "normally" for about 3 months, allowing it to discharge and then recharge.

Then he left it on on the mains for almost a year. Now the battery has no life what so ever in it. I blamed it on a faulty battery, and went to the apple store waving the apple care. The genius at the store eventually ask if it had been on chrage for a long period. When i said 18 months, he laughed and siad thats why. He tried to explain about it needed to be discharged once in a while to ensure it remained correctly callabrated. And that it would slowly loose power over time and then it would charge a little and this would add up to wear and tear.

To be honest, i think its bull, but thats what the "genius" told me. I personally think its fine to leave it in for a while... maybe just not 18 months.

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I think apple recommends discharging it at least once a month.

10. punkbass25 macrumors member

just about every rechargable battery needs to have the electrons move around every so often, or else it detiriorates. also keeping it plugged in for 18 months means that the battery is at 100% charge all the time (proper storage charge is 40%) this also increases how fast it loses lifespan. also it sounds like that battery was exposed to lots of heat, so all in all it makes sense that your battery doesnt work anymore.

but yeah for everyday laptop users just leave it in.

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

another reason to keep it in is in the event of a power cut or temporary outage.

providing you got your battery in, you can take your sweet time making sure all your precious files are stored safely :) Built in UPS!

12. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Leave it in...

Leave it in... no need to take it out.

I leave my battery in, and when I'm at work I'll usually run it down until I get the "10 MIN Reserve Power Alert", then I just plug the AC cord and leave it in for the rest of the day.

Had my PB for 4 months now, and I'm still getting 3.5 - 4 hour battery life.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Yep, this has saved me once.