Battery issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sulhaq, Aug 5, 2006.

1. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

Okay so I just installed coconutbattery. I recieved my macbook on the 2nd of august and have only completely discharged and recharged the battery once to calibrate it correctly. Yet coconut battery says my mac is 5 weeks old and the battery mAh hs dropped from 5200 to 5122 with 98% of original charge capacity remaining.

is coconut battery accurate? If it is I am returning this mac first thing monday....

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

98% of the charge.. i doubt there is much you can say to convince Apple to take it back.. Mention coconutbattery? They will just say coconutbattery is unsupported third party software, they don't even support boot camp, what are the odds that they'd kow tow to you based on what coconutbattery says? :(

3. sulhaq thread starter macrumors regular

sulhaq

Yeah you are right pretty much. Actually I just got over-excited and posted this thread. Now that I looked more deeply into it it says the mac is 5 weeks old. So 2% battery depreciation in 5 weeks seems about right. I'm going to follow coconut battery very closely as I use this mac over the next couple of weeks. I suppose it should be okay. If not I guess the only option is wait until the battery is down to 50% charge and then demand a new one from apple. In any case, I win :D

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

actually if it gets below 80% you might want to try to take it (i know this is the case with the ipod)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

really? i didn't think apple covered batteries at all unless it's obnoxiously so (like, 50% capacity in the first two weeks, or bent. heh).

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well as far as ipods go, i thought my nano wasn't getting enough battery life, so i took it to the local apple store. they did a battery test, and i had to come back in a few days.

they said that if it has 80%, then they won't replace it. mine ended up passing the test (higher than 80%) but they didnt tell what % it had

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

ahh.. well thats cool that they'd cover it at all. i didn't think they would.

8. sulhaq thread starter macrumors regular

sulhaq

Coconut Battery now reports my mAh is down to 5107. It went from 5200 to 5122 to 5107 in 3 days. The battery has gone through 2 load cycles so far. Once when I calibrated it and another one when I put it back on recharge when it wasn't fully depleted.

I'm starting to think this battery won't last very long.

9. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Mines been 95% since the day I got it (4980 or so). I'm currently calibrating it for the second time. Had it since early July.

10. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Got my MBP on july 25th, I now have 97% mind you it is a refurb, I am generally plugged in. I used to use cocnutbattery but now I don't even like to think about my battery, it suits my standards, I have 3:10 minutes left and been sitting here for 30 minutes so no biggie to me. Don't worry about it. It shouldn't be too big of an issue I haven't calibrated my battery yet. I will do this next week when I have more time, good luck,

Aaron

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

To the OP...I think you may have a significant problem with your battery. I use Coconutbattery as well, the only difference is that I have a MacBook Pro

Coconutbattery is reporting to me that my MBP is 6 months old (which is correct) and that my original battery capacity was 5500 mAh, and it has depreciated to 5128 mAh, which brings it down to 93% of its original capacity.

7% isn't all that much to lose in a 6 month time period, and even more acceptable considering I have been through 65 load cycles.

I would monitor your battery closely. I doubt Apple will do much about it now, but if it keep deprciating at the current rate, you could probably get them to replace it in a couple of months.

Best of luck,

Cheers

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Okay, I just got done recalibrating and its now 4998mAh from 4890 or so. Seeems to keep gaining. I think the sensor is just a bit screwy. To run the battery down, I ran a DVD for three hours, which I'd think is pretty good capacity.

13. jtown macrumors 6502

Some of you people need to get a grip on reality. It's a chemical energy storage device. It's capacity and performance going to fluctuate with environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.) as well as usage patterns.

Do you measure the fuel consumption of your cars this closely? "I got 32.7 MPG on my first tank of gas but only 32.1 MPG on the second tank. Is my car a lemon??? Should I take it back??//????/?"

If your hard drive's capacity dropped from 80 gigs to 78 gigs, then you'd have a problem. If your RAM went from 1024 megs to 1000 megs, you'd have a problem. The capacity of those items does not fluctuate based on outside forces. Also, unlike a battery, their performance doesn't degrade over time. Eventually, they'll stop working but that's what will happen. They'll stop working. It's not like your hard drive will turn into the tired old dog that doesn't have the energy to chase cats any more. One day it'll be working as well as the day you bought it. The next day it won't work. The battery, OTOH, will degrade and it will become that tired old dog that can't last long enough to boot the machine.

If you drew a graph of the performance, the hard drive and memory would be a straight line until the day they stop working. At which point, performance would drop from 100% to 0. A battery will show a steady, continual curve towards zero. Probably 10-20% per year depending on environmental conditions and usage patterns.

If you have to pay attention to know if your battery is losing capacity faster than normal, it's not. If there's something wrong with your battery, you won't have to go online and ask, "Is this normal?"

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha yea I actually do monitor my mpg. For all 6 years I have had my car, I have calculated the mpg at every fill up to get a rough estimate. Anything way off signals something needs to be looked at aka air filter, tires etc.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

me 2! i actually keep a record of my new truck....every fill-up goes into the computer:p

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Nice I dont even do that. I just keep a spreadsheet of all the parts and anything service related on excel. I also keep all receipts.

For best gas mileage, I would make sure to try to fill up at the same station as much as possible. It seems some stations have different flow cut off points for the nozzles which will skew things up a bit

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll keep that in mind. i also find that the quality of gas in some areas are better than in others. i got worse mileage in florida than i do in georgia

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Whoops I said for best gas mileage, I meant for the best mpg estimates it would be best to use the same place as much as possible.

Hmm maybe forida puts water in with their gas lol