Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knicksns28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I know there has been some disagreement on this board as to whether the i7 will have worse battery life (albeit it is just a little worse) than the i5, so I just wanted to see what the final verdict was on that: is there going to be a drop in battery life on the i7 processor and if so, how much will it drop?

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
it'll be interesting to find out the main differences of the i5 and i7 doing the exact same tasks

+1. We're still waiting to see the actual answer to the OPs question. In the C2D models, the 2.13Ghz had noticeably less battery life than the 1.86Ghz Model. Be interesting to see if the same holds true with the i5/i7 2011 models.

knicksns28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
+1. We're still waiting to see the actual answer to the OPs question. In the C2D models, the 2.13Ghz had noticeably less battery life than the 1.86Ghz Model. Be interesting to see if the same holds true with the i5/i7 2011 models.

Yeah, exactly. I'm hoping laptop mag will do the same test on the i7 as they did on the i5, but I don't think they'll do a whole other review for the upgraded processor.

On another note, I'd think that Apple would do their battery tests on their most efficient processor but it will be interesting to see how big the difference is. All these reported fan issues on the i7's make me believe that the difference has to be somewhat noticeable.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
ALL your posts are so incredibly UNHELPFUL ... guess your 'thing' is hanging around these forums cutting up everyone's posts .... sad really.

I agree. Whether intentional or not, his answers come across with a smart-asterisk tone.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
ALL your posts are so incredibly UNHELPFUL ... guess your 'thing' is hanging around these forums cutting up everyone's posts .... sad really.

I do not control whether or not you interpret my posts as "helpful" or "unhelpful." Frankly, I do not care. The original question is a meaningless one based on the realities of personal computer usage and battery chemistry. If you choose to ignore this reality you will remain in the dark and will probably not find many of my future posts on the subject "helpful" either.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I do not control whether or not you interpret my posts as "helpful" or "unhelpful." Frankly, I do not care. The original question is a meaningless one based on the realities of personal computer usage and battery chemistry. If you choose to ignore this reality you will remain in the dark and will probably not find many of my future posts on the subject "helpful" either.

The original poster's question is a valid one.

He's going to be using the computer the same way whether he buys an i5 or an i7. That's a reasonable assumption to make. He just wants to know what the delta is in battery life given constant usage patterns. Doesn't seem flawed to me. He is not asking how long the battery is going to last in absolute terms--like 5 hours. He's asking a relative question.

Regardless, the answer is likely the same life b/w an i5 and i7--not a big difference, unless you consider 15 minutes a big difference. Although the anecodotal reports would seem to indicate otherwise.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Usage is the dominant factor in battery life, not what kind of processor it is.

You sir are incorrect. Think of it as an engine.. You can drive a big engine as smooth and careful as you like, but it still won't give you the same gas mileage that you get from a smaller engine.
This tends to be the case with processors as well, because I'm sure that regardless of use, there is a power difference between the i5 and i7.

Thus, OP has a perfectly valid question, and I'd be interested to find more details on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.