Battery life for iBooks and iPods

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mpqtpie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mpqtpie macrumors member

Sep 11, 2005
    Just wanted to start a new thread about battery life (for ibooks and ipods).

I just bought my 14" ibook a month ago and already my battery life is down to 96% with only 3 battery load cycles. (It started out saying 100%.)

I read on another thread that a 15" PB had 97% left after 24 months.

I'm really worried that I've done something wrong for my battery life to be down already. Is this normal? Anyone have any tricks to make battery life last longer? Can anyone else share your stats and advice?

I looked on apple's website ( and only got a small amount of help. Oh, and if anyone's interested you can check your battery load cycles through this application:
  2. Jomoma macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    From what I've read, it's pretty normal for your battery to fluctuate at the beginning because you lose a little capacity as it waits for you to buy it at the store and factory. I don't worry about it, and just figure that I'll end up eventually buying a second battery. It's only about $100, and not worth the stress of worrying about it. An iPod battery is even cheaper, I just bought one for 6 bucks for a 2G 20Gig iPod.
  3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    interesting little app, I'm down to only 78% and that for a second hand iBook from 2002, used a lot for business. Letting the battery drain to almost zero and then recharging it (overnight!) could make it more active, You will have to do this a couple of times. I'll try it also. Very interesting this!
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    This thread focuses mainly on iBooks and their battery life using Coconut Battery to see the results.

To the OP; if you re-calibrate your battery once a month or so, that should help to keep your battery in tip-top shape.
  5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Fear not, my PB lost 12% within the first couple of cycles, I called apple care, they said they can't do anything YET, but if it gets worse very quickly they'll replace it...

Alas! 46 cycles later, it hasn't changed... Still at 88%... I'm good... For now...
  6. galstaph macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2002
    The Great White North Eh
    My ibook is doing really good for almost a month old
    Battery Information fro system profiler:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4355
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4352
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12572
    Cycle Count: 7

I really enjoy the little 'book, especially when I find I can get about 4.5h in real time battery life, (regardless of the battery @99% saying 5:38, turn on airport and word and firefox and I get the 4.5h)
    My ipod must get about 12-14 (or more) hours I think, never timed it.
  7. dylomel macrumors member

Nov 26, 2004
    Is it normal?

I got this ibook from Amazon on Wednesday, and now the battery capacity is down to 94%, only been using it for 3 days only, 'coz I let it charge overnight when i first got it. Is this normal?? Thanks!