Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XMashedPotatoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hey guys,

Can someone give me the rough times on the battery life of the 12" iBook and the 12" PowerBook?

Thanks,
Jason

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
iBook G4 with 12.1-inch display: 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge (1)

iBook G4 with 14.1-inch display: 61-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge (1)

50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 5 hours of battery life (12-inch models) (8)

50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (15-inch models) (8)

58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (17-inch model) (8)

fBaran

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2003
My 12" iBook G4 gets 4 and a half hours of just surfing, iTunes in bg, iChat open, and Mail open. Doing a more intensive things, I get around 2 and a half.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
cyks said:
iBook G4 with 12.1-inch display: 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge (1)

iBook G4 with 14.1-inch display: 61-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge (1)

50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 5 hours of battery life (12-inch models) (8)

50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (15-inch models) (8)

58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (17-inch model) (8)

What the... the 14" iBook has a higher capacity battery than than the 17" powerbook? What's wrong with this picture?

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
I think the fact that the 17" pB is HUGE might have something to do with it. It has to light up alot of screen.
I am not sure, but maybe the graphics card could have something to do with it. Is it comparable to flogging a 2 litre suzuki (14") and idleling a 12 litre v8(17")? Probably not. Anyway.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
win_convert said:
I think the fact that the 17" pB is HUGE might have something to do with it. It has to light up alot of screen.
I am not sure, but maybe the graphics card could have something to do with it. Is it comparable to flogging a 2 litre suzuki (14") and idleling a 12 litre v8(17")? Probably not. Anyway.

Huh? What exactly are you saying? The fact that the 17" IS huge made me think it would have a higher capacity battery than the 14"...

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I don't think Diatribe was talking about how long the batteries last...but that the 14" iBook uses a 61-watt-hour lithium-ion battery and the 17"PBook only uses a 58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery.... 3 watts less. Odd.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
The 17" is intended to be more of a desktop replacement that you carry with you as opposed to a true laptop. It's not like you'll be using it on a plane anyway....

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
cyks said:
I don't think Diatribe was talking about how long the batteries last...but that the 14" iBook uses a 61-watt-hour lithium-ion battery and the 17"PBook only uses a 58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery.... 3 watts less. Odd.

battery cells are one of the more dense components in a laptop. the laptop battery capacities are often determined to make the laptop weigh a certain amount, instead of providing certain battery life. for example, when 15" Al PB came out, it came with smaller capacity battery than the Ti presumably because apple didn't want Al to weign much more than the Ti... (still had similar life because Al is supposedly more efficient... apple chose to cut the battery capacity less to make the Al weigh less instead of putting in the same capacity to get better life... )

i think the 17" PB got the capacity it does so apple could say it weighs less than 7 lbs...

Nybombers142

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
I heard the new 1.33GHZ 12" powerbooks have a longer life. Someone said they got 5 hours of surfing, chat, word, ect. is that true? Off the topic, my friend had a G3 iBook and he said he got 7 hours off one charge once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.