Battery life in Apple Wireless Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andysmith, Aug 18, 2005.

1. andysmith macrumors 6502

I've had my wireless mouse just under a month now, and I had to replace the batteries yesterday because it started nagging me about it.
    It came with Energizer Lithium ones - which apparently are around £7 for 2 :eek:

I picked up a packet of 16 Engerizer alkalines for £5 yesterday, so I'll give those a track. Although I understand Lithium batteries last 5-7x longer (depending on what marketing blurb you read ;)), so I'm a bit worried I'll bankrupt myself on batteries.

What sort of life does everyone else get out of their mouse, and what batteries do you use?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can I recommend getting some rechargeable batteries? You'll save money in the long term. Also, do you turn off your mouse at night? You might make a bit of a saving there too. :)

3. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Rechargables

Rechargable Energizers.

Pop 'em and swap 'em.

It's an up front investment, but well worth it.

4. andysmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I have plenty of NiMh rechagables, so I'll give them a go. I was a bit put off by the manual saying not to use them. (because they're only 1.2v, and it'd too beautiful to damage :D)
    How long does it normally last on a fresh charge?

5. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

We're talking about a BT mouse right? After a month of light useage (2 hours a day max) mine still shows 100% on the battery meter, same for the keyboard. (original Energizer cells)

6. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I don't have the Apple BT mouse, but my BT keyboards' batterries lasted about 4 months after heavy usage.

7. Bear macrumors G3

You can't compare Keyboard battery life to Mouse battery life. The two devices are just too different.

A set of batteries in a mouse or keyboard will have lifespans based upon usage - number of hows and how heavily they are used. Some people keep th mouse pointer moving whule they are thinking. This will reduce the battery life a bit.

Also, if the device doesn't go into a sleep mode when not being used, turning off the device when not in use would be a good idea.

For me, a set of mouse batteries (Non-Apple mouse) lasts anywhere from a month to a few months depending on use.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The bluetooth mouse does shut off when the Mac is sleeping, so in my experience, it doesn't need to be turned off manually. I was using rechargeable NiMH batteries in mine, but due to their lower voltage output, I was having to replace them every couple of weeks. Now I use disposable alkaline cells. They last about ten weeks. Usually I can ignore the low battery warning for at least a week before they actually give out. These batteries are cheap when purchased in bulk.