Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Hmm mba almost 1 year old, i get around 4-5hrs with 50% brightnes and light youtube plus adium and heavy use of web browsing.

Sometimes i get less time but its the 11" mba i think its ok; plug it back in at 20% battery.

magr01in0

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
OK, battery replacement has arrived. Arrived empty, loaded once and shows battery health of 99%. Will watch it during the next days and post if anything changes dramatically (hope it wont ;) )

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
My battery on MBA 2011 i5 is not doing that bad, it can go on for 5 hours of browsing/youtube/office stuff. What is killing the battery is Skype, 1 hour VIDEOcall and 3/4 of the battery is gone.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I waited until 10.8.2 to upgrade from Lion because of the battery issue. I have a MBP 5,1 15" with an SSD/8GB Ram and a brand new battery from the mac store a month ago. Prior to the upgrade I was getting 5.5 hours and now I have dropped 10% in the last 10 minutes AFTER calibrating. In the process of running down the battery with just safari running it took nearly 5 hours. So I am not sure if the battery life has been depleted or if the software estimate is just way off. Guess I'll have to time it with a stop watch to see the actual battery life and report back.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hey guys. I did a clean install of Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard.

On Snow Leopard, I got 6-7 hours with normal usage.

With Mountain Lion with the same uses, I get 3-4.

This is kind of ridiculous.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
If the situation was serious I would have known of it.
I think it is just the applications you run, possibly your iCloud acting and etc causing poor battery life.

Sabelnik

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I've got this problem too. I have just notised it. The battery is showing me the "service battery" message.
I have upgraded to ML few days ago and now I see that I am loosing 1% of battery every 2 (or less) minutes. Damn what the ****!
I ve got 2011 Macbook Pro 15'.

milomak

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Code:
100%	16	h	55
50%	17	h	34
8%	18	h	05

that is how ridiculous the drop is on my mbp5,3. unplugged at 16h55 when at 100%. by 18h05, I had 8% left.

edit - surfing on wifi for almost all the time

Last edited:

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Does anyone of you have NTFS programs/driver installed?

Mine 3g driver is at 50% load whenever I'm downloading things form the internet, even with small bandwidth. I always have to add my bootcamp partition into the Spotlight exceptions to reduce this load.

When I do this, my battery will last for up to 8-9 hours on normal use and 12+ at night when I dim the screen.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
My battery time on Air has improved dramatically with 10.8.2 ... Depends what I'm doing of course, but for the first time it is saying battery health 100 percent, rather between 95 and 99, and time when fully charged 8 to 9 hours whereas was best about 5 or so before.

While I do check on this and other things in iStat etc, I am also following advice from someone here in not being too concerned with it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does anyone of you have NTFS programs/driver installed?

Mine 3g driver is at 50% load whenever I'm downloading things form the internet, even with small bandwidth. I always have to add my bootcamp partition into the Spotlight exceptions to reduce this load.

When I do this, my battery will last for up to 8-9 hours on normal use and 12+ at night when I dim the screen.
Are you downloading directly to an NTFS drive? If you're on Mac OS X, most users download to the Downloads folder, which is usually on the HFS+ drive, so NTFS drivers shouldn't be involved.

You might consider uninstalling/reinstalling NTFS-3G or try Paragon.

magr01in0

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
OK, battery replacement has arrived. Arrived empty, loaded once and shows battery health of 99%. Will watch it during the next days and post if anything changes dramatically (hope it wont ;) )

OK, so far the new battery seems to work perfectly fine. 'Battery health' steady at 99%. Promising!

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
Well, Mountain Lion is 3 months old so don't make a quick decision and downgrade to Lion. At least wait until 10.8.3 is out. It should be out in 2 months or so. I know it is a pain in the ass, but please be patient.

baller123

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
amazing battery life!

getting 9 hours SOLID! on a macbook pro retina 2012.
brightness at 4, sound at half, and blacklight at 1.
10.8.2 is amazing and has helped my battery life from the previous.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
getting 9 hours SOLID! on a macbook pro retina 2012.
brightness at 4, sound at half, and blacklight at 1.
10.8.2 is amazing and has helped my battery life from the previous.

What exactly do you do on your computer to get 9 hours? I can get 7-8 hours on my retina Macbook if I just surf the internet lightly. That means no youtube videos or sites with flash. In addition to that it means I am also staying on the page or site for longer periods of time. I also have my brightness set to 50% and my keyboard to 33% brightness.

I don't use any other apps in the background like itunes or anything else to get that 7-8 hours. However if I start going on youtube for 30 minutes to an hour, listening to music, and changing from one site to the next every minute or less I can get between 4.5-5.5 hours

Last edited:

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Are you downloading directly to an NTFS drive? If you're on Mac OS X, most users download to the Downloads folder, which is usually on the HFS+ drive, so NTFS drivers shouldn't be involved.

You might consider uninstalling/reinstalling NTFS-3G or try Paragon.

I actually almost never browse or use my Win partition when I'm in OS X. The load is just there when the network card is doing something, and even if NTFS is not related at all. When networking is disabled there is no load. Very strange issue. I'll give paragon a try then.

bigAPE

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
10.8.2 Broke Something

Well I'm running a 2012 rMBP which has had excellent 7+ hours battery life.

After updating, eventually, to 10.8.2 and the recent MBP/Air update (graphics drivers?) I am now down to less than 3 HOURS !!

No other environmental factors have changed, I'm not doing anything differently. Working (text editor) in the 20 minute taxi to the airport this now it has consumed 15% of the 100% after overnight charge.

People claiming "well I've not seen this", "I've never heard of this" or "stop watching the percentages and time the actual battery life" need to pull their neck in. This is a very real issue for a lot of people, just becuase it doesnt currently affect you doesnt give you the right to troll other people.

Yes, this "update" has, for me, CREATED a battery life issue which I didn't have before.

I really hope that 10.8.3 does something to change this, its obviously software/firmware related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.