Battery Life on 4S with iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by zjazz, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

It looks like iOS7 drains the battery too quick on my 4S. Less than a half day almost without talking and I'm on 19%! I hope it will not be like this. How about you guys with 4S?

2. macrumors member

That definitely seems like a lot :eek:

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and it is currently at 51% after 7.25hrs since last being on the charger (100%). Maybe 5mins of phone calls, a few texts, 30mins of streaming from NPR news app, 3hrs of listening to podcasts from the BBC's page on safarai, and 1.5hrs on the Music app.

3. macrumors 65816

CarlosQG

Starting at 100%, I just had a one-hour FaceTime video call and then played with it like one hour or so, still have 77% pretty cool, actually.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

I was charging it with my mac. I will try with regular charger, maybe that will make a difference, I hope....

5. macrumors G3

NT1440

I've had iOS 7 on my 4S for roughly a month now (multiple betas), it's arguably better for me now then on iOS 6. I wonder what the wide cause of this seemingly wide range of battery life results is? :confused:

6. macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same issue with the charge on my batter draining really fast. I took it off the charger and within an hour I was down to 80%. Previously with iOS6 I didn't have this issue.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Pulled out from the wall charger at 9:20 with 100%. Now it's 11:20 and the battery is at 87%!!!!! And I just sent couple of iMessages and thats all!!!!! WOW!!! Very disappointed !!!!

8. macrumors 6502

Disable background app refresh.

9. 7thson, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

macrumors 6502

7thson

Ars Technica did a great review of iOS7 and all devices suffered from decreased battery life, but the iPhone 5 was the worst, with the 4 and 4s fairing the best. Is it possible your battery is old and/or has been charged/discharged enough times that even if it says it's at 100%, it's actually only holding say 80% of what it could when new?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

did that already, thanks for your suggestion

----------

Yes sure it's not new battery I understand, it's an older phone, I've got it when they just came out, but that doesn't change the fact that it was pretty good (even if not like new) on iOS6 and its really bad on iOS7...;)

11. macrumors 6502a

It's sad when you upgrade to a new iOS to use all the cool and great new features, only to have to disable them just to let your phone do what it did before.

I have most everything disabled all the time (wifi, Bluetooth, location services, etc etc). Control center helps with those, as does Siri... But still.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

13. macrumors 65816

This is obsolescence in action. New software feature gets new support in new hardware and makes old hardware look or feel tired. The 5s has additional battery capacity but they don't claim additional runtime because there isn't - because there is additional load to go with it (in practice it was probably the reverse). But those same features mean less runtime on older devices that didn't get a battery boost.

14. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try resetting network settings, and if that doesn't work, try resetting the phone and setting it up as new. There's clearly something not right.

Or alternatively, wait to see if Apple releases any updates. Rumor has it that they will be releasing one soon.

15. macrumors 65816

Btw, it's still early in the process. Could be something as simple as an avalanche of new apps with auto update turned on.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, did all the resets and turned off many things exactly how it was on iOS6.
    Interestingly when it's charged on 100% it still shows the charging symbol near the battery. I remember in iOS6 when it's fully charged the charging symbol was changed to wall plug symbol. Is it the same with you guys on iOS7 or it still shows charging symbol? Just wanted to make sure...

17. macrumors 6502

snow755

mine is vary good so far I I this took mine off the charger at 10:15am now its 10:44AM and am olny down too 93% and I have it at full brightness on IOS 7

18. macrumors member

Barbariska

Left my newly upgraded 4S at 100% before went to bed, and woke up to a completely drained/dead phone. needless to say - missed all my alarms!! Thank you IOS7 :mad:

19. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I finally got to update yo iOS 7 this morning. I take my 4s of the charger this morning at 1130am and it's 147 pm right now. My battery percentage is 66% right now. That's with me playing with iOS 7 trying to figure out some new things and just browsing. It seems that the iOS 7 is draining the battery fast on my 4s.

----------

Wow that's crazy.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone to confirm this?
    When it's charged at 100% it still shows the charging symbol near the battery. I remember in iOS6 when it's fully charged the charging symbol was changed to wall plug symbol. Is it the same with you guys on iOS7 or it still shows charging symbol? Just wanted to make sure...

21. macrumors 6502

No issues on my 4s with ios 7 re battery life so far. Knock on wood. ios 6 killed my battery. It was horrible.

22. macrumors member

So far so good with my 4S I'd say it's pretty close to on par with iOS6.

23. macrumors member

I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life after upgrading to iOS7. I've since disabled "background app refresh", so hopefully my battery life improves.

24. macrumors 6502

I also experience really bad battery life(3,5hours of wifi browsing) on my 7.0 4S.
    I now restored it as new and turned off parallax, background refresh, spotlight, most location services, most system services and turned off push(changed it to load each15min)....

I want to see how my battery does now. If it is significantly better push will be the first to get back on.

25. macrumors member

My 4s is doing the same thing :/
    Got up at 8 after it had been charging all night and got home around 11 and I was already at 67% and I'd been in class the whole time. Barely used it. Wifi is on, full signal, no bluetooth and no automatic app updates. Really disappointed because I love iOS7 and I don't want to get a 5c/5s since my 4s is in really good condition. I hope it gets sorted out, if it can.