Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Well guys, I don't know if this is coincidence or what, but after doing a "reset all settings", my battery has dramatically improved. It feels like it's possibly back to iOS 6 usage level. Will see for sure tomorrow if it holds up.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Day 2, everything is still turned off (automatic updates, etc). Phone died with usage of LESS than 3 hours. I think the final tally was 2 hours and 52 min.

At this point I've drained the battery a few times. 'Reset all settings' a few times, and my battery continues to drain at lightning speed.

I know it's a beta, but many people are reporting good battery life! So if the beta had a battery bug why isn't it being experience by everyone across the board? Very odd.

Not sure what else I could turn off at this point. I will say that 'resetting all settings' did help. I noticed the battery last a little longer when I did that. But only about an hour longer. Nothing groundbreaking.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have real bad battery life as well just as most are saying where it goes from 100 to like 60 within a hour or two of doing just calls texts and apps, nothing heavy or long.

I just now tried disabling app refresh and every other thing mentioned on this thread.

I am curious if it makes a difference that I upgraded to iOS7 from iOS6 and didn't do a fresh clean install.

Could it be that people who are getting good or better than before did a fresh clean install?

I CAN do that but would rather try the changes first and will know tomorrow if they make a difference or not, if they do great, if not I will try a clean install. I just wish I wouldn't lose all my text.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
I have real bad battery life as well just as most are saying where it goes from 100 to like 60 within a hour or two of doing just calls texts and apps, nothing heavy or long.

I just now tried disabling app refresh and every other thing mentioned on this thread.

I am curious if it makes a difference that I upgraded to iOS7 from iOS6 and didn't do a fresh clean install.

Could it be that people who are getting good or better than before did a fresh clean install?

I CAN do that but would rather try the changes first and will know tomorrow if they make a difference or not, if they do great, if not I will try a clean install. I just wish I wouldn't lose all my text.

i have great battery life over 14 hours today. i always do a clean install.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
there's something considerably weird. I've reset my settings and let me phone charge throughout the night and had 100%. While still being plugged in and just opening mail, it dropped to 95% immediately!

It's driving me mental, I can barely get 3-4 hours out of my iPhone 5 now

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I have an iPhone 4S

Did an *upgrade* from 6 to 7 on Thursday and i've been suffering with terrible battery life since. It was going through about 20% an hour even if it was barely used.

This morning, I did a *restore* of 7 and its fixed all my issues. In fact, battery life seems better than 6 now but will monitor over the next few days.

Dont forget to turn off background updates and bluetooth.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Day 2, everything is still turned off (automatic updates, etc). Phone died with usage of LESS than 3 hours. I think the final tally was 2 hours and 52 min.

At this point I've drained the battery a few times. 'Reset all settings' a few times, and my battery continues to drain at lightning speed.

I know it's a beta, but many people are reporting good battery life! So if the beta had a battery bug why isn't it being experience by everyone across the board? Very odd.

Not sure what else I could turn off at this point. I will say that 'resetting all settings' did help. I noticed the battery last a little longer when I did that. But only about an hour longer. Nothing groundbreaking.

A bug by nature is something trigged by certain conditions which we may or may not be able to reproduce,if your phone is unusable due to this you should really go back to iOS6.

diegommc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
Itu, SP, Brazil
My iPhone could fry eggs or potato when just sending messages...

I think I will go back to iOS 6.1.3, and try some other improved betas later.

I think iOS 7 is revolutionary in terms of design and improved features, but beta 1 is definitely not for me.

:(

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I'm definitely seeing improvements my first hour this morning not having done a hard clean restore but following the other tips on here to turn off app refresh.

I'm draining about 11% this first hour which I suppose is normal considering I've been doing something or another on it since I unplugged it. Right?

I hope they fix the issue for those who want to keep app refresh on, although it only covers weather and stocks right?

yqeju5a7.jpg

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I have an iPhone 4S

Did an *upgrade* from 6 to 7 on Thursday and i've been suffering with terrible battery life since. It was going through about 20% an hour even if it was barely used.

This morning, I did a *restore* of 7 and its fixed all my issues. In fact, battery life seems better than 6 now but will monitor over the next few days.

Dont forget to turn off background updates and bluetooth.

I did an *update* to iOS 7 too. When I tried to *restore* to iOS 7 it said my device was not registered and it got stuck on a white screen.

From that point I had to do a full restore to iOS 6.1.4 and then the only way to get iOS 7 back was by updating.

I've heard that restoring as a 'new phone' fixes the problem but it won't let me on my device.

Btw I have 15% battery at the moment with 2 hours 12 min usage. It's getting worse if that's even possible.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Go back to iOS 6 then. Problem solved. :) I'm sure beta 2 will be better.

I hate to have to do that as well, but it's not just kinda worse, it's horribly worse. I'm always ready for change, but using 7 for a day, the grace is not there, just isn't. I'm sure I'll get used to the simpleness and white, but just plugged my phone in again and realized how beautiful graphicwise the battery indicator was when plugged in on 6 and older...the new one is so simple and basic. At least right now it's feeling a little more Androidish than I had hoped. I suppose it's time for the iPhone feeling to change but i guess just hard after a few years of mostly the same. I'm thinking people are going to feel like iOS6 is like Snow Leopard. :)

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012

I suspect its the true multitasking thats draining your battery life. Do you have a habit of closing your apps or at leasting clearing all the apps in the tray once in a while?

----------

I'm definitely seeing improvements my first hour this morning not having done a hard clean restore but following the other tips on here to turn off app refresh.

I'm draining about 11% this first hour which I suppose is normal considering I've been doing something or another on it since I unplugged it. Right?

I hope they fix the issue for those who want to keep app refresh on, although it only covers weather and stocks right?

Look at your signal bar = 1 bar.
Don't underestimate how much battery a phone will drain when its in an area of low signal.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Can't compare to the ridiculous drain the OP is experiencing, but mine is draining faster.

Only to be expected with a Beta & I've tweaked the settings accordingly.

Hope the OP gets it sorted.

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
In my experience, having battery percentage on actually drains the battery faster... I've had it off on every iPhone since 3GS and it's always better with it off. Also, "reduce motion" made my phone charge faster, cool down, and, presumably, drain slower.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Did a full charge last night before bed. Went to bed with the phone in airport mode. Turned that off at 7am. Have used the iTunes Radio for about 25 minutes along with some light texting, minimal surfing while being on weak signal wifi at school, and watched one short web video on wifi here at home.

Usage shows 3 hours, 38 minutes
Standby 12 hours, 37 minutes

I have 22% left. This is on a 4s with location services and background app refresh turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.