Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
My 6s shut off at 35% and asked to connect the charger when I wanted to stream Apple Music. Running 10.1 beta 4. Battery was calibrated just before the incident.

I don't believe in battery calibrations with these lithium ion batteries anymore. I've heard that if you let them die all the way, it shortens their life.

Reactions: dianp

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I recommend everyone get on 10.1 Beta 5. Remember I told you guys I sleep with The Sleep Cycle app on. Here's what battery usage was like while I slept. I woke up and my phone was on 31% down from 96% when I went to sleep. I got a whole extra hour and some change of usage after I woke up. It would've been more but I didn't put on LPM.
573ee1183b9466d43361eb8105baccd9.png

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Do tell us more, please. Any affiliation with the software?

Sorry I disappeared. No affiliation. Just read about it on forums.

There was absolutely no ill effect on my phone. I saved my Watch/health data, photos, texts and voicemails.

Ive been extremely conservative adding apps back. Only major apps from reputable sources. I only have one extra screen of apps beyond the pre installed apps.

I'd say my results over time are mixed. At first I was getting amazing battery life. It's dropped off over the past few weeks... I'm still getting shutdowns at 30% occasionally. Once I get to 30, battery drops off pretty fast, if it doesn't die.

Since decipher tools does no apparent harm and the initial result was positive I'm going to try again preserving even less data.

I have a feeling that the only real solution here is to get a 7 and I really don't want to do that.

Maybe the problem is one of my core apps.
[doublepost=1477165402][/doublepost]Oh my phone at least doesn't discharge at night anymore!

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
It seems that my usage time is only counted as on screen time or only if I have music, navigation, or the like running in the background. When my screen is off, then my usage time stops and my standby time is counted.

xeio

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Im on 10.0.3 with my iphone 7 32gb. Good battery life so far. Normal usage for 2 days, 8hours and more of usage.

dobrewski_77

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Plovdiv,Bulgaria
This thing really pisses me off... At midnight I fully charged my phone,left it and I go to bed. In the morning before hour and a half I wake up with 65% of battery. There is no way that this is happening. I'm using the latest PB beta and can't last even a day with my iPhone 6. In my mind are 2 things:
1) To restore everything and make a clean set-up as new
2) Wait for somehow Apple to fix this battery drains with the next software update.

45ac41243a77b19613f8481cc1edc627.png

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
i was plugged in all night. woke up... been fiddling with my phone throughout my morning routine and mine looks like this.. hardly any standby time as i've only been unplugged for a few hrs.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.PNG
    IMG_3692.PNG
    148.5 KB · Views: 227

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I recently downgraded to iOS9, and have since gone back to iOS10 (in-place upgrade, with the intent to DFU restore 10.1 once released).

Honestly - iOS10 is better on all fronts. Smoother, better battery, less glitchy. This is with an "unclean" installation too... using an iPhone 5S.

Anyone having issues should really backup, DFU restore, and reset all settings - that will in 99% of cases fix everything.

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
have any 6s users who were having this problem upgraded to a 7 and retained their backup data? are the battery problems fixed or did they migrate to the 7?

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
Battery life on my 7+ is not that great. I used to be able to get 2 days with my 6+ when it was new. That doesn't seem to be the case with 7+.

It's not the phone it's the software when the 6 cane out it was running iOS 8 way less features way less battery drain. Even still from the battery test I've watched comparing the 6+ 6s+ & 7+ the 7 always wins.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Battery life on my 7+ is not that great. I used to be able to get 2 days with my 6+ when it was new. That doesn't seem to be the case with 7+.

Battery life on my 7+ is about on par with my 6+, maybe a bit better. It gets me through the day without having to charge. I never came close to 2 days on my 6+ though and sometimes would have to top off on it.

Reactions: tyshemi

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
My usage,
f0ab00ef08bb1182bbdb63f498c55cc7.png

This is Beta 5. Looks like they handled the battery issues. My phone charges at a pretty good rate and the battery life has been around this since install. I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.
That's incredible. Do you have the Facebook app installed? On my 7+ with it installed and at the top of my usage, I get 7-8 hrs max.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has Apple ever commented officially (or unofficially) on these battery life issues?
So far the issues appear to be more or less the same as they are with pretty much any (especially major) iOS update, meaning not exactly widespread or directly reproducible due to some sort of an issue somewhere, meaning that it doesn't seem like there's much for them to comment on in a general sense (just basically perhaps some investigations and follow-ups on an individual case by case basis).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.