battery meter doesn't fully empty but ipod turns off

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

my ipod mini's battery meter doesn't fully deplete (goes like halfway), but then i will get a message saying there is no more power available to the ipod and i need to plug it into the wall. i've downloaded all the updates and i sometimes charge my ipod all NIGHT but i can only get about an hour of playback before my ipod croaks. any suggestions? thanks in advance:cool:

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

however it's already been over a year, i doubt i can get a replacement now

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

oh wow.. yea that happened to mine too... try replacing yourbattery.. if taht doesnt work then it might be something worse

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried calibrating the battery or even restoring the firmware? :)

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

How does one go about calibrating the battery of the iPod? I'm experiencing something similar, where I get about 3-4 hours and have 1/3 of the indicator still showing full, and get a message saying plug in to power.

Off to Apple support pages...

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Mine does the same, but I'm able to turn it right back on and get another half hour before it does it again. I keep having to constantly turn it on. The cycle generally lasts about ten times before I actually DO have to charge it.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Chances are that you've already done this by default but if not, run the iPod until it's completely out of juice and then charge it completely back up again in the single go. In other words, don't unplug it from the wall/computer until it has stopped charging. :)

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks mj, I suppose I've already done this. If it tells me to plug it back in before it's "truly" out of power (i.e. the battery indicator still shows 1/3 charge) then I guess it's on to step two. How does one reset the firmware; is it better to just do a restore and start from scratch? I'm not sure which is more 'fundamental', the restore or firmware reset.

Cheers

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you're getting the terms confused. You can reset the iPod through its own interface or you can restore the firmware with iPod Software Updater. This involves plugging the iPod into your computer and opening iPod Software Updater. Then you just press Restore, wait a while, and re-sync all your music etc. This will lose all info on the iPod though. :(