Battery not charing or detected!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wako, Dec 29, 2006.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Last night I was doing those maintenance things for the battery where you drain the battery completely until the system goes to sleep, and then allow it to sit there until the battery is completely dead.

So I did. This morning I wake up, plug it in and I see the battery isnt charging. On the top of the screen where the power management is, it shows a battery sign with an X in it. I click it to see what it means and it says, "No Batteries Available."

So what I have done so far is take out the battery while the system is on and put it back in and hopefully it will detect it... nope

I then unplugged my ac (which immediately turns it off) and then take out the battery and put it back in and then plug it in and reboot it... still nothing...

Figured it has to do something with the PMU so I resetted that... nope, same thing.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? When i press the back on the power indicator, it blinks the lights, meaning it still has juice but needs to be recharged.

BTW, I have a MacBook 2.0Ghz CoreDuo...

EDIT: Just to drive the point that the battery is not being detected, I just went into System Profiler and under 'Power' and Battery Information, it says it isnt installed...
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    If you have a friend with a MB, try your battery in his/hers, all I can think of, sorry. Good Luck!
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Here is what Apple says about it. Since you've done the two things they suggest, it appears to be time to contact Apple. :(
  4. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
  5. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    well i just called Apple and they will be sending out a new battery to me to be replaced. Apparently recently they had a Firmware update to fix batteries like mine, however apparently mine wasnt fixed by the firmware update :(

In any case, I learned something when I called AppleCare...

When I called it asked me if the system was owned by a school. I didnt reply, and then it asked if I had bought it with an education discount or if it was owned by a school. I did indeed buy with a discount because I am a student so I hit yes. Interestingly enough the AppleCare representative was REALLY NICE compared to the other AppleCare representatives I have ever called. Many of the others I have called before seemed like they just wanted the day to end (understandable) but this one was nice and seemed to care and was trying to make conversation too! I was talking to her and I asked what was the difference between the Higher Education AppleCare the normal one. She said universities spend a lot of money for the service so they get a seperate one (something along the those lines anyways)

However I had to soon end the call because i didnt have a credit card she can put on file as an insurance for Apple in case I didnt return my old one. So I called AppleCare back and this time I replied the first time when it asked if the computer is owned by a school (first time around it doesnt ask if you bought it with an education discount, second time it does). I get the normal AppleCare person and she was an ordinary AppleCare representative, boring to talk to and is always straight to the point and I get the vibe she wants to go home. For some reason she wasnt able to find my case number the Higher Education AppleCare rep gave me so i figured maybe I should call them back... so I did...

Did it all over again and again I was greeted by a nice man (he was sick though with the sniffles). He took care of the rest for me and my new battery is coming!

Lesson learned is from now on when i call AppleCare I will go for the Higher Education one because they are much easier to talk to than the normal ones I usually talk to.