Battery overheating. Is this true??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hubble, Aug 27, 2006.

1. hubble macrumors newbie

I was ready to take collection of my new macbook pro when I heard that Apple were recalling them as the batteries were prone to catching fire due to overheating. Please could somebody confirm this.

2. Lau Guest

The most recent recall has been about iBook and PowerBook batteries, and there's a thread about it here.

However, there was a recall of 15" MacBook Pro batteries a while ago (link), but a new MacBook Pro shouldn't have one of these batteries in it, as it affected computers made earlier in the year.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

"Apple has determined that certain lithium-ion batteries containing cells manufactured by Sony Corporation of Japan pose a safety risk that may result in overheating under rare circumstances.

The affected batteries were sold worldwide from October 2003 through August 2006 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4."

https://support09.apple.com/index.html

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

So if you are looking to buy a new MacBook Pro now hubble, you should be free from any 'exploding battery' concerns. :)

5. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

The new MBPs and MBs are li-poly, not li-ion.