Battery Problem On iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zflauaus, Aug 14, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Okay, here's the deal. I'm kind of mad. I have the stock 12" iBook and when the battery says it has about 2 hours left, it goes all the way down to 1 minute. I've called AppleCare and they had me reset the PRAM, I think. It didn't fix it. Anybody have any ideas?

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

I am 1hr 30mins away from the Apple Store. It's a brand new iBook. The serial number isn't under the recall. Any other suggestions?

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

the only other thing i can think of is keep calling apple care and bug them till you get it replaced.

how old is your computer?

5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

It's only 1 week and 2 days old. I'm calling AppleCare tomorrow.

6. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Any update on the problem? My ibook has the same thing happen to it, but it is about a year and a half old. I did get Applecare with it though. Will Apple give me a new battery for this problem?

daniel

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be worth giving Apple a call Dandaman.

By the way, I'm assuming everyone here calibrates their batteries regularly. :)

It might be worthwhile doing it now too. My iBook's battery is about a year and a half (maybe even two years old) and it still easily gets 4.5 hours.

8. Dandaman macrumors 6502

I may need to try that first. On a full charge, my battery indicator on the menubar tells me i have about 1:45 hours left :eek:

I'll try recalibrating, I haven't done that in a looooooooooong time.

btw, how do you reset the PRAM?

daniel

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How many times have you cycled your battery (the actual count registered in system profiler or via a command like "ioreg -l | grep -i iobatt")? If you are using it very inconsistently, you might be able to get a lot of that back by using it more consistently. If it's had a lot of cycles, then it's just getting old, and that's a natural part of battery life.

11. Dandaman macrumors 6502

The cycle count says 240. Is that being used consistently? what exactly is a cycle count? I'm clueless here.

daniel

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A cycle count is supposed to be the equivalent of using the battery for a full charge cycle, counting partial cycles cumulatively, as far as I know. 240 is not the whole battery life, but it is getting old... Li-Ion batteries are supposed to, on average, be good for ~300 cycles.

Well, anyway, it sounds like you have used the battery liberally. How often do you follow the calibration procedure? If you don't usually do this once a month, try doing it two or three times in a row, as it may take a few calibrations to get it back to the normal level....

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't have thought multiple calibrations would help. From my understanding of calibration, it just syncs up the laptops idea of how much charge the cell holds with how much it actually does hold. Have I got something wrong though? It's very possible. :)

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure...there are a number of people who vehemently suggest that there's nothing like conditioning a Li-Ion battery. But it does seem to be true, to me, that you get longer battery time (not necessarily battery life) if you use it in a deep discharge mode -- running it from 100 -> 0 and back again. I dunno. Might as well try if performance is already not acceptable! :eek:

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very true. The only drawback is using up a cycle, but that doesn't really matter. :)

16. Dandaman macrumors 6502

thanks for the help guys.

ok, so i heard that there are different ways that you can calibrate. you can do a long drawing out of power, which i heard is supposed to calibrate it better???? or is just normal usage 100 -> 0 good also? It would be great if i didn't have to get a new battery.

daniel

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Read the link I gave you in post #7 for Apple's opinion on the matter. :)

18. Dandaman macrumors 6502

cool, thanks again madjew and mkrishnan for you help.

daniel

19. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Wow, maybe I should call Apple. My battery & iBook is about 2 weeks old and I'm getting about 3.5 hours surfing in Safari with iChat open. Computer is on full brightness-2 bars (hit brightness down twice) and reduced processor. :eek: And yes, I have calibrated it a few times.

20. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry guys. I forgot to update it. Well, last Thursday I called AppleCare and they ordered the battery and shipped it to me the next day, Friday. I got it Monday and it is much better. I went about 4.5 hours. Now the old battery is in route to AppleCare. Again, I love Apple! :D

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get 4.5 hours plus with full brightness, Normal battery settings, AirPort on and web surfing/music usage after 1.5 years plus (maybe two). I may get slightly better battery length since mine is only an 800MHz machine though. Give them a call.

22. Dandaman macrumors 6502

ok, so i recalibrated twice last night. The first time, my time left went from 1:45 to 2:11. I did it one more time and now it is at 3:00. Looks like the recalibrating is fixing the amount of time left on a charge. Now i gotta see if i still have the problem where the battery will go from ~20% full to 0% in a matter of seconds.

daniel