Battery Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Beunique82, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Beunique82 macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook for about 3 months, and just recently it has begun to have "problems". The most recent problem has to do with my battery. When i plug in my charger, the light on the charger turns green, indicating full battery. But, when I look at my battery symbol on my computer (next to where the time is displayed) an X is shown through it, contradicting the what the charger is indicating. Also, when i turn the laptop upside-down, and press the button on the battery, it does not light up any of the "circles", once again indicating that there is no battery. And finally, when ever i unplug the charger, it automatically shuts down. This is an incredibly aggravating problem and i hope someone knows what the problem is.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your battery troubles.

First, you should try resetting the PRAM. Turn off the computer, then turn it on again. Hold down :apple: - option - P - R all at once. The computer will make the startup bonggggggg again. See if that helps.

You may also try holding down the power button with the computer off until the light at the front of the computer blinks, and you hear a loud BOOOOOOP noise. Don't be alarmed... it's normal.

See if that helps.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

get it checked out at the apple store man, 3 months it should all be under the warranty still right?

4. NJuul macrumors 6502

It sounds like you have a bad battery.
    The X symbol means that the computer does not register a battery. This is why your charger is green, as in powering the computer, but not charging a battery.
    Try to re-seat the battery, and as suggested zap the PRAM and reset the PMU.
    If it still shows an X in the menubar, call Apple.

5. Beunique82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I'll have to check.

6. Beunique82 thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes a lot of sence. I think i'll have to call apple though, because it still seems to not be working.

7. Beunique82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both of the things that you reconmended, but the 1st one (where i press :apple: - option- P - R all at one) didn't do anything. Thanks for all your help, but i think i'll just have to call apple.

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Tight. If you can, bring it to a local service center. They will be much quicker to get you fixed and on your way than sending it directly to Apple would be.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

try taking the battery out, and putting it back in (3 or 4 times) then lock it back into place with the key slot.

My MacBook did this once and this inserting / removing cleaned the contacts enough for the system to see the battery again.

HTH!

10. Beunique82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never even thought of that--even though its the 1st thing i should have done! lol, thanks a lot.