Battery procedures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheCreeper, Feb 25, 2007.

1. TheCreeper macrumors member

Well i'm curious how you all take care of your batteries. I just got my MB and followed the procedures with charging it fully. Leaving it alone, running it to sleep, letting it stay in sleep for 5hrs, plugging in the charger to fully charge it.

Well using coconut this is what I got

CURRENT BATTERY CAPCITY: 5033
    ORIGINAL BATTERY CAPCITY: 5200
    96%

BATTERY LOAD CYCLES: 2
    AGE OF YOUR MAC: 2 WEEKS

I've had my MB for one week and here are the latest

CURRENT: 4999
    ORIGINAL: 5200
    96%

BATTERY LOAD CYCLES: 4
    AGE OF YOUR MAC: 3 WEEKS

How are these stats??? Shouldn't it be 100%??? Am i doing something wrong? When you fully charge your MB do you keep the charger in while using your MB or do you disconnect and use batt power. I've read a lot on the forum but still am not sure what the "best" way to keep the battery at its best. thanks!

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Don't forget, not all batteries are identical - 5200 mAh may be the official capacity of your battery, but it's actual capacity from new may have been slightly less or slightly more. My MBP battery was at 98% within weeks, and 96-97% soon after, which is where it has stayed for the last 3 months. So in short, it is normal.

As Apple says: "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month."
    :apple: