Battery Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by setho212, Jan 26, 2007.

1. setho212 macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2006
    So I have had my computer plugged in a for a while but the battery meter says it is onl 95% full. It does indicate that it is charging but it doesnt stop saying calculating... until fun no matter how long the computer is plugged in. Is something wrong, the computer is less than 2 months old.
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I've never seen an Apple notebook running OS X that told the correct battery life when plugged in. Even my 2 week old MacBook Pro says its charged at 98%. Sometimes it says 99% even when its "charged". I don't think its a huge issue. What you want to watch for is how long you can go on battery. Or, check to see if it goes from something like 25% to 10%, to 0% with in a very short period of time. That would indicate a problem with the battery. Remember that the battery is considered as a "wearable" item so even if you have AppleCare they may not replace it after the original warranty.

I've had a 17" PowerBook G4 and 500 MHz iBook G3 that both did the same thing as well. It would show charged at 98% or whatever. I would also assume that batteries aren't always going to charge back up to 100% all the time either.
  3. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2006
    What is the best way to preserve my battery? I commute to school everyday, so my computer is usually plugged in from 8PM-7AM at home and then is plugged in from 7:30AM-7:30PM. I have only had the computer about a month and half but I have refreshed the battery once. Will this usage pattern cause a loss of battery quicky, should I keep it plugged in less and let the battery run down more?
  4. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    That 95% is when the battery discharges, It is considered full between 100-95%. Just pull the plug for a few minutes to discharge the battery a bit.

The more you charge the battery the more its going to drain its life cycle and its ability to keep it at a full charge.
  5. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    The best thing to do is when using the battery, let it run down to somewhere around 3% left and then charge it backup. The one thing a lot of people forget to do with any notebook (Apple, Dell, Gateway, Sony, etc) is to condition the battery. To do that, run it down to nearly dead (3% for example) and then charge it back up. If you do that then it will get used to using the entire battery.

A lot of people also only use the battery part of the way all the time and then charge it back up. So say for example you only let the battery get down to 30% left and then plug it in all the time. If you always do that then the battery will get used to only working under 30% is left and then the battery life will plummet to 0% and the notebook will go to sleep until you plug it back in.
  6. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    Per my coconutBattery 2.5.1 on my MB:

Current Battery Charge: 5277 mAh
    Maximum Battery Charge: 5346 mAh
    98% [MB itself says 99%]

Current Battery Capacity: 5346 mAh
    Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh

Battery Loadcycles: 13
    Age of Mac: 2 months
    Charger connected: Yes
    Battery is charging: No

Interesting that when I use coconutBattery, my MB fan runs faster as of course the temp rises... And it appears that coconutBattery is doing this via tapping into the "ioreg" to collect the data that it is then displaying.
  7. macbookprouser macrumors member

Jul 30, 2006
    mine sometimes will get stuck at 99 and then i reboot and it says 100.
  8. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I've heard that it only charges up to 95 - 99% in order to not 'over charge' the battery.

I've stopped worrying about it. I deleted CoconutBattery because it was driving me nuts.