Battery Replacement Program

Discussion in 'iPod' started by panoz7, Dec 9, 2005.

1. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Does any one know if the in store battery replacement program for the iPod occurs entirely in the apple store… or does the apple store just ship the iPod off to a service center? I want to replace the battery on my little sister’s iPod for xmas but the mail in thing seems to take a week, and I can’t hide that I’ve stolen her iPod for that long. I was originally going to just order the battery off a site and replace it my self, but I’ve read that with the apple program they just give you a whole new iPod. Is this the case with the in store program aswell? Since they don’t make the iPod mini anymore will they replace it with a nano instead? Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    I would guess that they ship it off, but why not call your local Apple Store and see? :)
  3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If I recall my battery replacement right (boy, was I suckered into Apple's plan...), they don't do any battery work at the Apple store. They send an order to the warehouse and they send you a refurbished iPod with a new(er) battery.

You have to wait that week to get it since it has to fly to wherever your Apple store is. They take your iPod and give you the new one and they ship the old one out.

You're better off spending the money to buy a third-party battery and either paying someone to install it or installing it yourself. Not only is it a better battery, but often is cheaper, too.

And no, they usually don't replace your mini with a nano. They have more than enough minis that have had the battery replaced to give you one back of the same color. I hoped that I would catch the cycle at the right time with my 3G iPod and get a 4G and came close to getting a 4G, but the guy noticed on the box that it was the wrong label. Damn.