Battery Update in Software Update.

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by ComputerWizard, Dec 17, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    About the Battery Update

The Battery Update enhances the performance of the battery to ensure that full capacity is available for your PowerBook or iBook.

System Requirements

Installation of the Battery Update requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later.

The Battery Update supports the following products:

iBook (Dual USB)
    iBook (Late 2001)
    iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
    iBook (32 VRAM)
    iBook G4 (12-inch)
    PowerBook G4 (12-inch)
    PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI)
    PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800)
    PowerBook G4 (17-inch)
    PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz)
    Note: Once the Battery Update software has been installed, each battery you install in your PowerBook or iBook will be updated automatically.

© Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iBook, and PowerBook are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
  2. macrumors member

Jan 30, 2003
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Maybe this will improve battary life. Altho I can not complain about mine. i can easially get 4 hours out of it.
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I'm updating....

I'll be back in 3 min....:)

Hope this will get my battery over 3.5 h ...
  4. Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I wonder why the iBook G4 (14 inch) is not listed... I'll put it on my iBook G4 (12 inch) when I get home...
  5. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Back ....

I guess I won't get it until my next flight ... but hope it will help me a bit more...;) , it's reaching 3:00, full speed, and itunes on!
  6. macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2003
    state of confusion.
    listen to you guys....:eek: :rolleyes: 3 hours and still ticking....2+ hours, FOUR hours!!!! I have the 15" powerbook firewire 800 and am lucky to get an hour 45! :( I REALLY hope that this improves the life of my battery....will let you know later....

edit: well, it's later now and am SUPER thrilled to report that it looks like the battery has more than DOUBLED its life. I always look at the percentage (and compare to the 'time' the menubar gives me) and it's now draining NEARLY as quickly. Hallelujah! woo-hoo! - That translates into 3.5 hours! Go Apple!
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2001
    N 49.50121 E008.54558
    This was overdue. Panther did something to my battery life that I didn't approve.
  8. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Last Friday my PowerBook lasted for about 3 hours and 45 minutes on the plane with processor at automatic, screen at 2/3 brightness, Word, iCal, and Webster's dictionary open and backlit keyboard at full. If this makes it last for longer, I am afraid I'll never use that extra battery I ordered with my PowerBook. :)
  9. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    an hour 45? yikes. :eek: what are your options like? AE? BT? screen brightness? processor speed? apps running?

I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D
  10. macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Battery is gone!

I ran this update with a nearly full battery and now I have (it claims) 0% batter left. And yet the computer is working just fine. What the hey?!!?

Xbattery shows me with a full 4.4Ah
  11. macrumors member

Sep 19, 2003
    same here.
    Just installed it. I get average use of 2:30hours on my new pb12" that's with automatic and full screen running lots of apps, safari, itunes, mail..etc.

I hope this makes it even longer! It's at 90% charging but still says 2 more hours to charge! :) how do they do that!?!?!?

Can't have come at a better time for me. Going on 2 plane rides all day in 2 days!

Will post after!

I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D [/B][/QUOTE]
  12. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2003
    Warsaw, Poland
    12" with FW 800?

This may just be a spell mistake by Apple, but in the german version of the update there are 3 PowerBooks 12":
    PowerBook 12"
    PowerBook 12" (DVI)
    PowerBook 12" (FW 800)
    Just a mistake or is it like with G5's appearing at Apple Store 3 days before launch?
  13. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2003
    maybe if you re-calibrate the battery it will read correctly
  14. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2003
    Re: 12" with FW 800?

The US one says PowerBook 15" (FW 800) instead of 12"
  15. macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    Does anyone know why the 14" iBook G4 isn't included in the update?

16. macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Waht about older 15" Powerbook

Attempted a software update and no updates are available. Does this update skip the original Titanium PB users?
  17. macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2003
    I really hope this helps my iBook Dual USB!

I get an amazing 17 minutes or so of battery life! Reduced speed, brightness as far done as possible, Airport on and using.

My PowerBook G4 500MHz gets about 3 or something 3:30 or so with brightness down all the way, reduced speed, Airport on etc.
  18. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2003
    Warsaw, Poland
    I maybe wrong but I think there was also the 15" in the german version noticed separately! I've just updated so I can't access the info any more... Maybe someone else with a german OS can confirm this!
  19. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2003
    Warsaw, Poland
    Re: Waht about older 15" Powerbook

This update is only for Al PB!
  20. dho
    macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    Re: Battery is gone!

That 0% probobly refers to something like 0.1...% that needs to be charged after the update was done and the extra capacity discovered. Give it a minute or two and you should be ok. Otherwise, goodluck :)
  21. macrumors member

Sep 16, 2003
    Full but Juicing... (?)

I've had my PB 15 1.25GHz plugged in all morning here at work, so the battery was full, but after that update it tells me "0:51 until full".

? (!)

This thing's gonna suck down another HOUR of juice?? Suhhhhhhweet!

As it is I forgot to condition the battery when I first got it (DOH!) so have only been seeing about 2 hour battery life. Hopefully this will improve that.
  22. macrumors member

Apr 10, 2003
    I wonder which iBook i have. Its a May-2002 12"-model with CD-ROM, 600 MHz G3 and 16 MB VRAM, but NOT opaque.

It still has Apple Garamond font for "iBook" and the "classic Dual-USB-Look".
  23. macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey RedMacMan - that's not due to lack of conditioning, that's what the 15 gets.....
  24. macrumors member

Oct 24, 2001
    Salt Lake City

Wow!! I am using a revA powerbook 12' and this little update just took me from an average of 1 hour and 45 minutes to a full three and a half hours! THANK YOU APPLE!
  25. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2003
    Re: Waht about older 15" Powerbook

It does skip us indeed. Not sure why, I guess our PB's are perfect :D