Battery Useful Life

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SC68Cal, May 12, 2006.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Hey, I have a battery for my TiBook that was never used, sat in a box for at least 3 years and after only 12 charges/discharges is reading at 51% capacity according to Coconut Battery.

Can I reverse this process? Does the fact that the battery was never used until (at the least) 3 years after it was manufacturered have an impact on the battery's capacity?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Batteries need to be used, they need the current to keep running through them or they can, as you've noticed, slowly break down. I'd calibrate it to ensure it's being charged properly and then hope for the best. :)
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  4. jimN macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    After two years of life I noticed my pb battery seemingly running out a lot sooner, i calibrated it which seemed to make matters worse and I have just replaced it because it was managing just 1 hour (if that) on a charge - showed 34% of original capacity on coconut battery.

Have now installed a new one that i bought off eBay and although it is obviously finished to a lesser standard than the apple one it cost £30 less and I've never managed a battery life this long.
  5. SC68Cal thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks for all the info. It's just that in the space of 10 charges the coconut meter has gone from 93% down to 51%, so I think the batteries are expired and I just need to buy new ones. The batteries just sat in boxes and were never used since they were bought, so I guess that is the reason why they are dead.