Battle of the 12"ers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Washco, May 31, 2005.

1. Washco macrumors newbie

Well, my Apple stock did great and I want to cash it out on a 12"er. I like the case of the ibook, seems like it will take a beating better than the PB, I'll be writing on it mostly in a car. However, I like the thought of 64 vram as that will make the computer last longer. I guess it just comes down to the vram vs. tougher case. I have a rev. A iMac 1.8 for home stuff.

I know the ibooks will be upgraded soon and dont expect the PB's to be as they just were. What are everyones experiences regarding case toughness with their ibooks and PB's? Thanks for your opinions.

2. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Offtopic, but: I have a feeling that there ain't any threads other that 12" iBook vs. 12" PB anymore..

Once and for all: Roll a dice, 1,3,5-> get an iBook, 2,4,6 get a Powerbook. I bought a Powerbook last week (I rolled a 6).

3. deanbo macrumors regular

Powerbook!

By the time you up the specs on an ibook, (256mb of RAM and 30 gig HD?) you're pretty much at the powerbook price anyway, so there you go.

4. deebster macrumors 6502

Hope you're not gonna be driving whilst writing. Might be a tad dangerous :D

Yeah, the iBook is tough (polycarbonate shell), but scratches fairly easily.

The 32 MB RAM is enough unless you are gonna be gaming or doing heavy graphic work. Of course you don't get the Dashboard ripple effect, but I doubt that's worth the extra expense for a PB.

As you say, updates are overdue so hang on and see what Steve and the boys come up with, but I'd say the iBook will be fine and will last you quite a while.

Hell, I'm still using mine past its 3rd birthday, and that's with 8 MB VRAM.

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

better shell?

all i know is that my friend's ibook has gotten pretty worn out after less than a year. normal use too.

the most annoying thing? the printing on the keyboard has nearly all worn off...

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It's more durable - the shell resists denting and cracking, more than the PB does.

7. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I find that hard to believe. My poor rev a PB has been through a lot (getting dropped while in my backback before mac sleeve and falling off my couch several times thanks to my cat). Only one small dent and its hardly noticeable.

8. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

how many times did you roll? Or best out of three? :D

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I say PB if looking for a more future-proof purchase.
    There's more in that GPU besides VRAM ... Core Image anyone?
    And if you take care of your things, scratches, dents, etc. won't be a worry.

10. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

The PB case/shell can crack? I've never seen that before...

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Washco, you might find this thread a bit interesting. This thread kind of answers some questions too. :)

12. YoNotYoshi macrumors newbie

looking to pounce on the next ibook update here.