Battle over Texas sex-ed textbooks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

What is up with this BS! It sounds like some 50s kind of approach to sex. Suicidal is all I can say.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's odd -- i've always said, "get plenty of rest so you can **** longer"

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL... that is too funny.

I have no problem with speaking about abstinece. But not to the exclusion of condomns and the pill.

4. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

For some people, solving problems like teen pregnancy is less important than a political agenda.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha absolutly priceless... definatly 50ties revival

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

LOL

I agree w/the rest of the posters. I a firm believer in education so people can make informed decissions. Preaching abstinence is fine, just make you *educate* (that is the point of schools right?) the students so if they don't choose abstinence they know about safe sex and all the myths surrounding STD's and pregnancy.

Lethal

7. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

This is one of the things I don't like about the Republicans. But you don't pick your leaders on single individual issues, if one were to do that I would vote for nobody, because nobody is perfect. Parents can teach their own kids sex education, so any policies created by the Republicans about abstinance is mute as long as parents take care of their own.

I am not saying this isn't an important issue, just that there is a world full of important issues and this is just one of them.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This makes no sense whatsoever.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He hasn't made nearly everybody's ignore list for nutthin.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It could have been stated better but it makes sense.

Voters vote for the candidate they agree w/the most even though they probably do not agree w/the candidate on every issue. If you resereved your vote for a candidate you agreed w/100% then you probably would never vote because the odds of of seeing eye-to-eye w/the candidate on every single issue are pretty slim.

Lethal

11. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

If you only voted for a candidate whose issues matched all of yours 100% than you would only be able to vote for yourself.

The fact that I disagree with Republicans on several individual issues isn't going to mean I am not going to vote for them. This is one of the issues I dissagree with the Republicans about.

12. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Exactly. Thanks.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"But you don't pick your leaders on single individual issues, if one were to do that I would vote for nobody, because nobody is perfect." That's what you said. If you were to pick your leader on a single issue, it wouldn't matter if they were perfect, as long as they agreed with you on that single issue. Ergo, you are making no sense.

14. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I didn't realize I was in debate class.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You know what he meant. It was worded poorly but it was pretty obvious what Leo was trying to say. This is a pretty stupid thing to bust someone's balls over (even someone you don't like).

Lethal

16. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

A little victorian eh? That's highly irresponsible and could lead to more texans.

(just playing rat!)

17. iGav macrumors G3

In an ideal world they would as part of their responsibilty as parents not only to their children but also society. Reality however is somewhat different.

Judging by the fact that Texas is in the top 5 for teenage pregnancies for several years, we could consider that maybe Texan parents aren't doing an especially good job of teaching their children then.

And with the possibilities of Educational Textbooks containing such 'factual based gems' as...

it would seem that the situation in Texas isn't going to change anytime soon. :rolleyes: