Battlefiel 2 for Mac? Or with BootCamp?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 66217, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Anyone here knows if battlefield 2 is going to be available for Mac?
    Or has anyone played battlefiel 2 using windows in a Mac?

I would love to play this game in the Mac I am planning to buy (if the MacBook ever arrives):)
    Do you think the MacBook is going to be able to run this game?

2. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  3. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004

I booted it up on a maxed out MBP (2.13Ghz, 2gb ram, 256mb vram, 7200rpm HD) with windows and it ran fine. Not the greatest, but playable. The MBP and iMacs supposedly have the GPU's waaaay underclocked though, somewhere down to 200mhz, so you are not exactly getting the full capability of the card. You can overclock it but it voids the warranty.

That being said, it won't come out for OSX, so if you want to play it, either get a gaming pc, or install it under boot camp.
  4. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
    Not like they can ever find out if you bring it in to be repaired...
  5. Photorun macrumors 65816

Sep 1, 2003
    First yes, I've played it and seen it played on a Macbook Pro AND an iMac and it runs pretty good. Good as any average peecee by Dull/et. al. Doubtful it'll come out for OS X though. it runs way better to use the ATI tools under Windoze and set the clock speed from the Apple default from factory 310 of the X1600 to it's original specs, 475 MHz (but I'd recommend not higher), you'll get 33% better frame rates which is a huge difference. BF2 runs really nicely under Winblows and Boot Camp after that's all said and done, not surprisingly either (I'm talking the 256 MB card BTW).

However you're talking the Macbook, as in the iBook replacement. Sadly that will have that stupid Intel shared memory crapola for video so I'd have to say it will not run on a Macbook or, if it does, totally craptacular at best, even under maxed out RAM. Then again I'm thinking Apple, who's had a long history of not giving a horses tuckus about gaming, game developers, or anything regarding games, beyond not caring about the gamers market, isn't really aiming the Macbook to the gamer crowd, rather the home user and/or educational person who's most intensive app may be Word, or Garageband, or checking email and surfing the web.

So either buy a Macbook Pro or an iMac (which are VERY good deals for their price) or wait indefinitely.
  6. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    Isnt that dangerous for the card?
  7. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I play BF2 with boot camp on my MBP and it runs great as far as I can tell. No slow-down or anything like that, it's smooth like butter baby.
  8. jkballer23 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006
    I saw a video of someone playing BF2 on their MBP and it looked super smooth and the graphics were maxed out. Makes me want to get a MBP right this second:p
  9. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    it's pretty sweet, and to play it on a laptop is that much cooler... I wish i could play it right now but I've got work to do and I know that once I start it'll be three hours later in no time:)
  10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
    holy eff I would cry if it came out for Mac....but then again BootCamp kind beats all I guess....
  11. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2006

What were the specs of your MBP?
  12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

It works great on my MBP 1.83 512 under BootCamp.
  13. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    The card is designed to run a lot faster than Apple clocks it at. Apple lowered the clock speed to keep the MBP quiet. Overclocking it is safe. Unless there's a cooling issue I'm not aware of?
  14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The cards were designed to run at a certain speed- Apple actually underclocked them so they run LOWER than the speed they were designed to, saving battery and heat, so clocking it to the normal speed is not dangerous to the card.

The extra heat generated might be dangerous to you or the laptop if you use it too much though.
  15. petemc macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    Huh odd. The sound stutters on mine. 1.8ghz, 512mb ram, 7200rpm 100gb drive.
  16. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    As others have mentioned BF is a memory hog. 512 is barely sufficient.
  17. petemc macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    Yer thats what I thought. It runs fine on my desktop PC with 1gb ram. Just with that guy saying he had no problems made me wonder :)
  18. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    a quick froogle search shows this to be a pretty good deal.

my local staples (atlanta, ga) is clearance selling all their games. salesclerk says it is corporate wide.
    battlefield 2 was listed as $49.99 marked down to $19.99.
    use a couple ink cartridge coupons for an even better deal.
  19. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Heck, 1GB is not sufficient for BF2. I got a second gig just for this game :)
  20. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006

Others have already pointed out that the card is underclocked (mine was at 300/300- I belive that regular operating speed for the 256mb 1600x is 400/400) and if you get a good software overclocker (one that does not flash the memory and has some user-changeable options- ATItool is a good one) it will determine the max operating speed for your card, and will even not let you clock past a safe speed. As long as you are safe about it, it should be fine (although it does void the warranty, however, it should drastically change your video results for the better)