Battlefield 1942 fps Display?

Discussion in 'Games' started by G5guy, Oct 15, 2004.

1. G5guy macrumors member

Aug 20, 2004
    Does anyone know how to get BF1942 to display the fps stats like on the PC? The ~ key does not bring a console to type console.showfps=1

I just installed a Geforce 6800 Ultra and I am of course, curious. :)

Thanks for any help!
  2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    hmm... the tilda (~) key brings up the console for me... :confused:
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Is it the demo? I remember the demo being crippled console-wise and won't display FPS.
  4. G5guy thread starter macrumors member

Aug 20, 2004
    Yup - i have the demo. Thanks for the replys. Wanted to check it out before I paid the $$.

BTW, Apple's developer apps included with OS X 'OpenGL Driver Monitor' will give a FRAPS -like FPS chart and table. This can be used for any game. - FWIW

The Ultra gave me up to 80 fps 1600x1024 (low AI, bots), a little shy of my PC, but pretty good! Speed seems to be limited more by the AI than the card.
  5. unixkid macrumors member

Jan 25, 2004
  6. RGunner macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    Developer Open GL Monitor

I have this installed and opened currently, I do not (apparently) understand how to 'see' the FPS within this program.

Can you elaborate please?

7. G5guy thread starter macrumors member

Aug 20, 2004
    I can understand since this is a developer program as opposed to a nice end user one - it took me a bit to figure it out.

When it is open, under menu 'Monitors' -> 'Driver Monitors', pick the flyout of your driver name.

A window will pop up showing a blank graph. Click on the 'Parameters' button at the lower right of window.

In the drawer, double click the 'bufferSwapCount' driver parameter. This is called everytime a window or even the finder refreshes the screen. It should read '0' with no windows open with animations.

Select the '100k' option for max on the graph so you can see the frame rates well in the log graph.

You can play with the graph color, select the table option to see a list of samples, and click on 'save as text' to save the data and import into Excel or something.

A less slick but straight forward utility is the 'openGL Profiler' that displays FPS directly as a number. Good for quick checks.

If you run the free 'OpenMark' opengl benchmark you will see the graph or fps match its own count.

It is amazing what cool stuff is included with OS X. :)

Have fun!
  8. CannonFodder macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    '~' should bring down the console in BF1942. To tell the game to display the FPS, type 'fps 1' within the console to turn it on, 'fps 0' to turn it off.