Battlefield 1942 on Ibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by blue_monkey, Dec 31, 2004.

1. blue_monkey macrumors member

Hey guys!

wow, it's my first posting here. I got my brand new Ibook G4 a few weeks ago and i'm amazed by it. it's the nicest thing i've ever bought! ;)
    well...as i used to play video games on my windows pc which i gave to my little brother for christmas i wanted to get battlefield 1942 for mac.
    there's only one problem, i donno if it's gonna run fine on the ibook. i don't wanna buy the game and then realize it doesn't work.
    i have the latest ibook with 512 megs of ram and an 80gig harddrive. do you guys think it will run at least in 1024*768.
    Unreal Tournament 2004 runs fine in that resolution (with low/normal) detail settings.

Thanks for answers!

ps: sorry for my weird english, i'm from germany so i'm not a native english speaker. sorry! :)

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well here are the BF Requirements if you don't know them already:

Mac OS X version 10.2.8

867MHz PowerPC G4 processor or faster

256MB of RAM (1GB recommended)

32MB video card (ATI Radeon 7500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better)

1.6GB of hard disk space

DVD drive required to install and play

You might want to add in more RAM but i think you should be ok, do you have the 12" or 14" display?

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If there's one thing that I have learned during my mac gaming experience, it is that system requirements don't mean crap. I bought MOHAA, with system requirements of a 500 MHz G3 and 16 MB VRAM. My powerbook has a 1.33 G4 and 64 MB VRAM, and my framerates frequently drop into the teens. Don't trust the system requirements.

With that said, though, I have yet to try Battlefield 1942 because I am very wary of trying another game.

Good luck with your mac gaming...

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

5. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

alrite i'm downloading the demo of it. i'll post as soon as i tested it.
    i was amazed how well UT 2004 runs on the crappy 32megs 9200 so i hope that maybe battlefield will run the same on my little machine.

btw. i have the 12" ! It's just perfect, i love it! :)

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

How many Ghz or MHz is it? I have the 14" 933 MHz iBook G4 and it played the BF1942 demo fine. I don't have the game though, but I think it will run.

Cpt Underpants-I really think it's the powerbook. The MoH: Spearhead demo ran fine on a 800 MHz G3 using jaguar. I'm pretty sure Spearhead asks for more then AA.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have a 1ghz revA iBook G4, and its surprisingly good with games. It runs Call of Duty like a dream, and most other games very well, I just started downloading the bf1942 demo right now, so it should be done in 10 minutes or so, and I'll report back. :)

8. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

i tried it but it doesn't run as well as i want it to run. i can't really play well in 1024*768 with quality set to medium..
    it's weird: i can't recognise any changes in framerates switching to another solution...

what do u mean when u say it played fine? mine is the one with 1.2 ghz and an ati radeon 9200 and 512ram so it should outperform the 933mhz one. and it doesn't run too well on mine.
    UT 2004 runs perfect though.. weird!

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Try not running it at 1024 X 768 resolution. An iBook isn't really good at running games at that resolution except for MoH: AA, AoE II, and AoM, because MoH: AA and AoE II are older games, and AoM is a less demanding game. Oh and CoD, because CoD is one of the smoothest running games in history.

OutThere761, I am too very pleased when it comes to games with my iBook. Sure, it may not be able to run the latest and greatest games, but hell, it can run Halo on lower settings. CoD also runs like a dream for me. I problay won't be purchasing games as often for the computer as I used too for 2 reasons: I have a wondeful Xbox now, and games are becoming more demanding. Of course there are still some games for my iBook I am planning on geting which include: RB Six 3 Raven Shield, RB Six 3 Athena Sword, CoD: UO, and possibly BF1942.

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Guess we will have to wait for OutThere's opinion

I have tried this demo with my PowerBook and I found that with settings at 1024x768 and most of the things on low and med I was able to move around ok, not the kind of performace i would want but your iBook should be showing playable performance

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ok — I gave it a shot. Good news, at the default settings it's very playable. Only drops frames in places with lots of big buildings. I believe the default settings are all the way down, but I definitely feel that if I had turned them up, it wouldn't have been a problem. It plays pretty much as well as Halo, which is to say, not bad at all. :)

12. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I've downloaded and played the demo on my iBook, and it's not the fastest lappy on the block. (sig) Ran quite well though, I was pleasantly surprised. I know this probably sounds weird, but try downloading the demo and playing it, to see what kind of performance difference there is between that and the actual game. Luck! :)

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of picking up BF1942 but I just got an Xbox + Xbox Live. I also just got CoD: UO and I should get Rise of Nations in the mail within 2 days. I am also planning on picking up Raven Shield and Ghost Recon 2 (note that this is over the course of a while, becuase I just can't be whipping out $30 and $50 all at once.) So BF1942 is out of the question. For now atleast.

14. hanq macrumors member

try going to /system preferences/energy saver. then go to the options tab and select "highest" for processor performance. the setting should be "automatic" by default uless you changed it already. i read somewhere doing this gave it better benchmarks. so it might help in the game.

15. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Meh,

Save your money dude, the idea of the game is great but the graphics are sub standard. Jerky movements are regular occurances even on the lowest settings.

Try Medal of Honour but even better is Call of Duty. One problem with COD at the moment is there is a patch for the PC version of the game but the Mac patch is still not available.

The current version of the game is 1.5 (PC) and there is only a 1.4 patch for mac servers so the online gameplay is limited to version 1.4 (there are not that many still on 1.4). Go to Aspyr and check it out.

aussie_geek

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Do you have system 10.3.7 on your iBook ? For me, it made my Macs run games considerably better.

17. mms macrumors 6502a

18. hanq macrumors member

that's nothing. here in Korea, there's is a lot of iPod promotions going on and they don't use Ipod, IPOD or ipod. they use I-POD, and it frigin bothers the hell out of me.