Battlefield 1942? Worth the $50?

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Apr 5, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I need to clear this up. I have both Call of Duty games, and I love them. But I tried the Bf1942 demo and I loved it. Now I'm thinking about picking it up for my iBook, but I'm worried that if I pick it up I'll end up selling it on ebay from dissapointment and once again I'll feel like I wasted my money like I did for Rise of Nations. What do you guys think? Is it as good as CoD, or will it get Ebayed? Thanks.

2. brap macrumors 68000

It's a whole different kind of game.

You'll be sorely disappointed by the single player action, it's dull, repetitive, and the AI sucks. I mean really sucks. It is, however, wonderful for online and LAN-party play. That said, I've had it for my PC since it came out - haven't played it in at least 12 months - the EA maintained servers have all but dried up.

3. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'd be geting it for the multiplayer anyway. I've heard the stories of the horrible AI :eek: But if there are no good servers...

4. brap macrumors 68000

Well, those are just the generic EA-run ones, I'm sure there are plenty of private run servers hanging around. Guess it depends on how far you're into the online gaming "Scene" - clans and all that. I never had patience to find a group not full of whiny 13yo script kiddies :eek:

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If i were you, i would not buy it at that price. Wait for it to drop on ebay, then buy it. I really don't think it's worth that kind of money.

6. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not in to the whole clan thing. Too much responsbility. But I love online FPSs.

7. Flickta macrumors 6502

price is too high. it is a good game, and even single-player is enjoybale (though some people say it suks. perhaps they do not know how to adjust difficulty? Or want bots to behave like a human? don't know), but the price for the game, that was released like 4 years ago (for PC)... If you can live with it, go on.

8. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well at this point it seems like it's not worth the cash. Maybe I'll stick with CoD UO. I don't know. I'll go ponder over it some more.

9. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

I paid the $50 last summer becasue I'm addicted to the Desert Combat Mod. There is also an awesome Star Wars mod as well. Having said that there are some mods for CoD, but I've never played them.

Check out www.macologist.org for mods for mac games.

10. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I've been to that site before. Several times actaully. Anyway I have downloaded the SWAT mod for CoD. It's a pretty decent mod.

11. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I bought BF 1942 just about 3 months ago. Basically I just play the mods like the star wars one and the halo one. I payed 50 bucks, buy I thought it was worth it.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I loved the game, and think it's worth every penny of the $20 I paid for it two years ago ;)

13. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But is it worth the $50 I might pay for it tommorow?

14. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I love the game for the online play and the mods. I feel it is worth it and also you would be supporting an excellent porting house that is specifically mac based