BATTLEFIELD 2 for mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by alien_ware, Jun 14, 2005.

1. alien_ware macrumors newbie

does anyone know if batllefield 2 will be for mac andif there is a mac demo for it?

2. brap macrumors 68000

3. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

NO NO NO...ME ME LIKEY!!! I WANT I WANT!!!

But the good thing is it will be available for ps2 and xbox, so i can get it for that...but i dont want to have to buy an xbox live thing.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

BF 1942 was released for Mac, so I don't see why BF 2 won't be. But be prepared to wait a while - I think there was a 2-year delay between the Windows and Mac releases of 1942.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, but IIRC this game uses the Havok physics engine. Which dims any hope for a Mac port.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That and I believe it uses Gamespy. We can only hope...

7. trailblazer macrumors member

Battlefield 2 is so good.
    In Australia, most of our ISP's who run game servers have at LEAST 10 servers up, 32 or 64 player...
    during the evening, 5pm~1 or 2am, every server is full.
    Great game.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've heard about the Havok problem before, but don't fully understand it. Why can't the Mac publisher just change to a different engine, like changing from DirectX to OpenGL?

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

because rewriting physics is allot harder than changing graphics api's

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Wasn't Ryan Gordon of the opinion that by using Intel processors the chances of a Havok port have greatly increased? This would be my worst fear, because this would render PPC Macs obsolete in gaming.

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

PPC macs are obsolete for gaming - and they have been for quite some time now. The is not interest from publishers to make games for the system - and when they are made - they aren't tested and optimized at all, are two years late, and cost three times the amount of the PC 'bargain bin' price.

I'm sick of that. Welcome aboard Intel. Hopefully you can help us with the gaming problem...

Now, before we all get our panties in a twist and starting screaming - 'But I can play Warcraft III on my mac! That's a top of the line game! OMG! ****!' - listen. I'm talking about extremely graphically impressive / 'spec out your PC just to play it' / OMG, I want to touch myself looking at this game' games. 'Next-Gen' games. Call them what you will. If you don't play them, don't like them, don't care about them - great. That's fine. Just stay out of the convo, please.

The fact of the matter is - gaming is huge. Bigger than the movie industry. Apple knows this - and I think, for the first time in about five years, they're starting to worry about that.

If Apple ever expects to be a major player - they have got to secure their position as a Windows Replacement. Not just for your office apps and core OS - but as your entertainment device.

The tools just aren't there yet, and neither are the developers. They don't see a profit in it, mostly because of the 'word of mouth' distaste for Apple amongst PC users. But this switch to Intel is probably going to change a lot of that..

With the switch to Intel - yes - it will make things easier to port. And, more than likely, we will see a pretty fair increase in mac sales (especially notebooks).

This is good, because, once the creators of HAVOK and Gamespy (shudder...) see that Macs are picking up - they'll want a piece of that sweet money pie.

Initially, people will get it since it can dual-boot. The problem is - that's a pretty lame solution - but at least we have that option now.

However - the fact that we will be able to dual-boot OSX and XP / Longhorn will make developers, I believe, even more rare than they are now.

Why develop a port to OSX when we can simply just boot into Windows when we need our fix?

That's how gaming developers are going to see it. They'll all sit in their meeting rooms and say, 'If mac users really want to play our games, they'll just boot into Windows. OSX is just for elitist graphic design firms. They're not going to play our games. And if by some odd chance, there is a mac gamer out there - he'll boot Windows for our game! Problem solved!'

So, as usual, Ryan C. Gordon is correct.

What's interesting though, is that the Halo series adopted HAVOK as their physics engine. Now - HAVOK did not create a PPC SDK - that's why there are hardly any games for OSX.

So what's the point?

Well, Halo 3 is being made for the XBOX 360 - which, as we all know - makes use of PPC chips. So, I have to wonder - if Microsoft was able to pay them off to make a dev kit, compatible with PPC architecture?

The world may never know...

Either way - cheer up. If you won't be able to have OSX specific games - at least you can play Windows games on the same machine now...

What would be really nice, is if Microsoft saw the profit in 'selling' copies of Windows to mac users - and worked with Apple to make a 'Virtual PC' type app - that allows Windows Apps to run natively from within OSX (seeing as how Bill doesn't really view Apple as a threat - but rather - free pocket change).

Then again, the problem being - OSX won't have an official games.

In a sense, it's a 'win a little / win a lot' scenario.

12. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Woah... well anyway.

Quick Note:
    Battlefield 2 does not use the Havoc Engine :p I believe they made their own. The Havoc engine was going around on Mac Gaming sites for a little bit there... but any "Googling" will show you that it in fact does not use Havoc. GameSpy... I have no idea... :\

And Errr... saying that PPC Macs are "obsolete" for gaming isn't really fair. They can still play many of the latest games, if you dont like that, well... lol, you're in a Mac Gaming forum dude. Macs are "Not a Good choice" if your a hardcore no-life gamer. However, if you have a Mac, wanna play a few games, whats stopping you? I too hope that the Intel switch will help Mac gaming, but we can only wait... and hope... and send nasty E-mails threatening the sacrifice of small rodents for the cause.

Other then that, what can you do?

"Buy a..."

Ok, let me refraise that question.

What can you do while still not moving over to the darkside?

Other then forget about it and play Call of Duty: United Offensive and Unreal Tournament 2004?

Still the best games out there in their field. Really ;)
    Its just an added bonus that they work great on Macs.

Oh, and Rise of Nations is the best RTS...
    But I'm kinda mad you can't play direct IP with PC - Mac...

BAH!

Dont you feel sorry for that lady in the Vagacil commercial who has to run through a park with the words, "Itching" and "Oder" hovering above her?

Srry... reading www.crazyapplerumors.com

Very funny :)

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh OK, I'm not a very good programmer, so I don't know what's involved. It would take me years and years to write a graphics engine myself, and it would still end up worse than the old 2D games of 10-15 years ago :rolleyes:

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm holding out for a Mac port of Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. Aspyr Media already ported Novalogic's Black Hawk Down and is working on Team Sabre. They all use a similar graphics engine and it has similar gameplay to Battlefield 2. I know it doesn't have all the squad and VoIP features, but it does have a better chance of getting ported.

15. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i get the inkling you think they aren't already? your worst fear has apparently been realized for the last decade.

16. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

He saying there is less of an excuse for Havok and Gamespy not to run on Mac. After that there is still the same porblem that there is now: money. Gamespy and the people who own Havok want a huge licencing fee from the Mac developers.

17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Even when games like Call of Duty or UT are ported, they often times, are broken in serveral ways. Then, poor guys like Ryan Gordon or SantaDuck have to work their asses off to make things right again.

These games are also dropped from the 'support' list by the mac publishers - as they don't really give a damn.

You have to admit that it's 'slim pickin's' when it comes to games on OSX...

18. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. What I meant was that people that game on their PPC Macs may have their fears come true when getting none of the games anymore, because they only come out for Intel Macs.

I agree that gaming on Macs hasn't been overwhelming. But there are gamers on the Mac (i.e. Mac users that also game), you cannot deny this. In having games just coming out for Intel Macs, they are forced to buy a new Mac or be left alone.

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I don't think BF2 will ever come on Mac OS X, but I wouldn't be supprised if we see BF3 (which will probably come out in around 18months) on Mac OS X. But I won't be supprised if it is Intel only.

But you should be able to play BF2 under something like Wine when Apple releases the first Intel Macs in 2006.

Edit: I expect upcoming highend games ported to the Mac, to be Intel only. This is because of how badly PPC Macs run these games. But I expect we will see less demarding games support both PPC and Intel Macs for some time to come.

20. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

That's real assuring when you just bought a dual 2.7 powermac! :mad:

21. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Quite frankly... What????!! A United Offensive Map Pack just came from Aspyr for Call of Duty. I have every mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 and am up to date on both games. (CoD 1.5c, CoD: UO 1.51c UT2k4 3355) So... what do you mean by "dropped from the support list"? You obviously dont play them on your Mac :) Otherwise you would be a much happier person.

And as for "Slim Pickens," there's only a few major titles that never come to Mac... and each one is for a reason, not because the developer doesn't feel like it. You cast companies like Macsoft, Aspyr and Freeverse as little nothings that dont care, dont act, and cant dance. I understand its hard to be positive while dealing with Windows on a daily basis
    :D, but hey, its ok!

22. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Yeah... but dont worry. He's actually wrong about most of his suggestions. While dual booting into Windows "May be possible" according to Apple, its not like you can just pop Longhorn into your drive and install it like you would OS X. In fact, Apple is NOT making their computers with Windows specifically in mind. Intel hates Windows... Apple Hates Windows, thats why we're going to be one big happy family. This in no way means developers for OS X are going to go "Poop!" First of all, do you buy a Mac because it looks shiny? Can play every game thats out there at 500%? Chances are, you bought it for OS X (The Best OS on the market, hands down). When I buy a Macintel, I'm not going to buy Windows for it!! LOL. No... not lol... more like, "LMAO ROTF HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEE.... cough. E key got stuck.

Anyway, Google it, there are 100+ articles all about it, and through reading it, you'll find that this is going to be better for us, and not worse.

I really like this one:
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050609.html

But this one is interesting too:
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=355

Oh what the Heck:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1824704,00.asp
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506intelxbench.html
    http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus&date=2005-06-10&time=21-42-20
    http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars
    http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111826877260754662,00.html?mod=todays_free_feature

Really... it'll be ok.

While this and that and this and that other thing is happening... lets remember, this is Apple. Apple aint perfect sure, but by poop, they're a reliable company, and well-known as the most inovative company out there today. They can handle it, all we have to do is.... err... buy?

23. applekid macrumors 68020

With Intel processors in Macs, the chances of Havok haven't improved much. Havok wants a lot of money for their API that porting houses cannot afford. Simple. Supposedly there already is a Mac port of the API. However, that's irrelevant. The Havok engine has been ported to the consoles as well, so the hardware platform does not matter anyways.

Even if it's possible to dual-boot with OS X and Windows in the future, I suspect developers will have little trouble in porting a Windows game to the Mac now with the hardware for both platforms nearly identical. Porting time will be cut greatly. The only problem is the DirectX to OpenGL porting, which is something porters are already experts in.

24. Stupid-mac-user macrumors newbie

Hello i have a mac my dad bought it for me lol if your a true gamer then you would probably like to go with pc but thay have virus and stuff so.. Its your choice i want a pc cuz battlefield2 is pc only there so stupid thay sould make it mac :cool: :eek:

25. Stupid-mac-user macrumors newbie

Hello Again i was just wonderin D2 and Unreal tournament i play both of those are mac and pc and then blizzard makes a new game BF2 and makes it pc only its cuz macs r so good there jealous of us and afraid :cool: :D