Battlefield 2: Please a Final Answer-Macbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by phreakery, Mar 6, 2007.

1. phreakery macrumors newbie

Alright, ive looked around, ALOT, and i really cant find a straight answer for running battlefield 2 Modern combat, etc... on a Mac book, not macbook pro.
    My specs are 2.0 dual core proccessor, the regular GMA 950, and a gig of RAM that if necessary will be upgraded.
    So, can i do it, what needs to be done to do it, and basically.. how do i run battlefield 2 online on my macbook.
    Thanks.

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

You'll have to use bootcamp. It's a free app from apple (free for now, you'll have to pay soon). You'll need a copy of vista or XP as well.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

In a word no. The GMA 950 is not powerful enough and does not have the necessary features to even run Battlefield 2.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

I don't recommend it. My MBP 2.16 GHz CD, 1 GB RAM, and ATI X1600 can get choppy in places with all medium settings at i believe 1024 x 768. It's playable, and I can do decently, but the random hiccups show it's not perfect. You definitely want at least medium graphics quality to enjoy the visuals, too, so even if you lower everything and everything works out, I doubt you'll enjoy the eye candy.

And according to what you're asking, you need Boot Camp and a copy of XP. And it's just Battlefield 2 on the PC, not Modern Combat.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can't play Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on any computer, Mac or otherwise. :p

You can play Battlefield 2, however. :)

6. phreakery thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, my mistake on the modern combat... just been playin it on ps2 when i posted...
    anyway, i have bootcamp and xp, and all that jazz... but... for a straight answer... yes or no? i hear alot of ppl get black screens, is there a way to fix it, or what...
    and i dont know much about macs, i hear the gma 950 is soddered into the motherboard, and you cant get anyone to like put in a better video card. is this true?

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I haven't heard anything about black screens. Like my post said, I don't recommend playing it. It'll be frustrating, at best.

The GMA is indeed soldered. You cannot upgrade it. General rule of laptops. Eventually, if Intel and Apple decides to support the standard in the MacBook motherboards, the GPU could be upgraded, but that's far off.

8. aholden12592 macrumors regular

no. tried it - black screen 1 second and back to desktop.