Battlefield 2 Works!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by notsane, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I am running 1024x768 everthing medium no aa 100% view distance. Flying helis really smooth. I would say it is about equal to my (desktop) p4 3ghz, 2gb ram and 6800 gs (256mb).

My rig
    Dual 1.83 Macbook Pro
    x1600 128mb
    80gb 5400rpm
    2gb OWC ram (matched pair)
    Win XP Pro

Mike:)

2. macrumors regular

The Senator

does it work online

3. macrumors 6502a

heck yeah it does! i was running it 1680x1050 (forced via command line since the game doesn't officially support widescreen res) with 2x AA and settings to high... worked like a charm.

4. macrumors G4

dmw007

Good to hear that everything is working good gaming wise on your MacBook running Boot Camp/XP Pro. :)

5. macrumors G4

dmw007

Good to know this as well. :) Keep on enjoying your Windows only games on your MacBook Pro (how ironic is that- PC games on a Mac). :)

6. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

How do you force it into WS?

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Works great online

I favor framerates over looks (for flying), but I will try higher res next.

8. macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, looks like the one game that always tempted me to get a pc for gaming may eventually make me get a Intel Mac for gaming. It isn't this game, but if this one works, so will the one I want...:cool:

9. macrumors 68030

Piarco

Ditto. In fact I was half way into a build, just hadn't gotten around to putting in the gfx, cpu or mem. Now I can sell off the components!

10. macrumors member

I played it all night last night - runs better then on my desktop I practically built for it.

The only problem is VOIP. Since the drivers do not support routing the audio and mic to a headset you're stuck using the speakers and built-in mic. This can become problematic as the game sound bleeds heavily back into the speakers.

Other then that it's awesome. Oh, and there is no way to hit page up to accept order, but thats not a huge deal.

Yea how do you force that resolution?

11. macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Wow, this is exciting news! Has anyone tried other games? Just curious...

Last night I was playing halo online and met a player named "Macbook XP"

This is really exciting!

12. macrumors 65816

crazycat

Here are some pics i took of my iMac playing BF2, the pics are not so great bec i took them with my camera phone.

13. macrumors 65816

crazycat

Movie:

14. macrumors regular

OH HELL YES!!!!! Damn, Mac OSX here I come! Im gonna dump my PC and buy a high end MacBook Pro with an external drive!

15. macrumors regular

How does BattleField 2 run on the MacBook Pro? That is the major selling point for me.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

Any game will run pretty much the same on both the MacBook Pro and the iMac since both are almost the same thing..

17. macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would say my MBP will run faster since its has a 256 video card insted of a 128 on my iMac.

18. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

oh wow, I can't belive I didn't think of it before. I actually bought BF2 when it first came out. I couldn't run it on my workstation or laptop since it didn't have enough video ram. Needless to say, I put it in my desk and forgot about it. I was really annoyed about it, and couldn't afford the upgrade at the time.

Months later, I am sitting here with a MBP and now I can't wait to install XP to try it. I was debaiting if I was gonna do it for CS, but I only play that once in a blue moon (which I can still use my old laptop for). Man, this is perfect, gonna do it tomorrow :D

19. macrumors 6502a

So then how fast do you think it'd run with my MacBook Pro?

256mb vram
    7200 rpm drive
    1.5 gb ram.

Think I'd be able to run it at max settings?

Thanks

20. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

But it has a mobility chip so it would still be pretty much on par.

21. macrumors 6502a

Irrelevant. The Intel iMacs also have the mobility chip. They are identical in construction/pipelines.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

Video RAM

The main thing that determines gaming performace is the gpu (generation, clockspeed, ram speed, # shaders and pipes), not the amount of video ram. Unless you want to load the maxiumum sized textures, you don't need 256 for most games. (doom 3 and quake 4 benefit the most). It is a good move to future proof yourself to get the more expensive macbook (if you have the money, and you want to play games). I need this thing for FCP (which runs as well as my dual 2ghz g5 BTW). gaming is just a nice bonus for me.

This is a mid-range gpu, so don't expect to crank the res up and have a playable framerate (this is not a 7900gtx!).

Has it got game? Hell yes!

Is it an SLI rig? Not really.

Here are some benchmarks!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=188

MIKE

23. macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Is this a trick question? I'm on a 2.0 with a 256 and it runs smooth as silk.

24. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have been glued to my BF2 demo all day. Its soo f***** sweet.
    I cant believe all the gaming bliss I have been missing out on!
    Thankfully, my neighbor is a programmer for EA, and I can get any game for $10. Happiness: priceless :D

25. macrumors member

Did you guys need to install the update to get it to work? Or did you only need to install the original game?

I tried to install but the game just hangs and the screen turns blue after I have chosen to join a server. Also I get wierd clicking sounds and noises coming from the speaker in the menus of the game.

The only other game that I have tried on my MBP is Americas Army, this worked fine but I still have the sound issues and it's almost as if the video drivers don't quite work as there is what I can only describe as a film or filter overlay on the game that looks like a dirty piece of glass is between my eyes and the game.....