Battlefield 2 Xbox 360 "Flying the Flag"

Discussion in 'Games' started by jared_kipe, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm totally stuck on the last mission of Battlefield 2 for the 360. Every guide I've read doesn't make it seem like it should be so freaking hard, so I'm almost wondering if something is wrong. I've not had any trouble on the missions leading up to now, but suddenly...

Enemies can shoot me through obstacles like big metal crates and walls.
    Enemies who are not aiming at me (I'm facing their side or rear) will shoot and hit me, often times killing me.
    Enemies with shotguns will kill me from across the screen, when I think I'm well out of range.
    And finally, enemy 50cal is suddenly very very accurate, the fire is strait and will practically hone in on you. (remember the through obstacles part)

Further, my team AI isn't doing anything. Every time I die, or otherwise hot swap into my team they are way behind and usually facing/going the wrong direction.

I'm not fatal1ty or anything, but I went through COD2 on Veteran without anywhere near this amount of frustration.

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

o..k...
    i don't have a 360, but that sounds like something is wrong

3. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

It's a bugged out level. Others have had the exact same problem, including myself. Those who say they "breezed" right through it, are lying. It is true, the enemies can shoot through walls, their shotguns have a 100 yard range, and always they know where you are while the teammate AI is even dumber than the rest of the game.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I haven't gotten to that level yet, but once I do I'll come back with my experience of it.

5. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well it took a while, but it finally looks like I'm not crazy. I just don't see how anyone is supposed to do it. For instance the guides say when you get to the top of the hill by the first silo you will get support. Well sometimes they show up, and usually they don't. And when they do, they are usually eaten up by the four 50 cal nests down there with continuously spawning guys.

Usually I'm up there killing the 50cal guys when I'll get killed and have to basically start all over because my "support" is way back at the beginning and not advancing at all.

I had this game out on my Gamefly, but I'm sending it back today. The game overall is just not very fun. I think 90% of its flaws could be fixed by a button that shouts "follow me ass hole" to all the guys around me. On all previous missions I just get into an assault type person and go strait through the levels without worrying about my fellows except when I die and have to make up the ground again.

And don't get me started about how it assigns gamepoints. I HATE GAMES THAT DO IT LIKE THIS. I much prefer COD2 style, you beat a level, you get points, you beat the game, you get points. Not this bunch of **** like killing 10 people with a sniper rifle before you loose the multiplier ****. I've never seen a point where this is really achievable if not for possibly luck. The most I've ever killed is 8 people, and then there is nobody around for me to kill. Which means only a smattering of medals for me, and my rank is stuck at something like 2nd lieutenant. And I've played through most of the game and only gotten 120 gamer points for BF2.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It takes skill to get the points. Trust me - I got the online spec ops medal by picking my place where I had a great field of fire and I knew what I was doing. It is possible to get these points - I have 245 from BF2 - it just takes time and yes, in some cases, luck. And most of my BF2-playing friends have even more - upwards of 600-800, usually.

7. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

It takes less skill than it does time. For instance in DOA4 to get points you have to play online for hours and hours. I don't have the time to dedicate myself to play BF2 or any other game online for so many hours.

For instance in BF2 you have to compete in 500 sessions online to get a medal. Or you have to finish all the missions and challenges with maximum stars. Perhaps you're confusing skill with memorization and trial and error.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Doesn't even take hours - I got the spec ops medal in about twenty minutes.

You have to pick your spots - if you don't know how to find the best spots to snipe, how to blow up a vehicle that's racing towards you - you aren't going to get as many kills or points towards a medal. I know the difference between memorization and skill.

And you don't have to play 500 to get a medal. Try MUCH less than that for games played. I haven't even played 500 BF2 online games yet, and I've been picking up medals for online games left and right.

9. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I know there are smaller achievements. If that was as far as it went I'd be fine with it. But I choose not to play online. I only have a few friends and they're not FPS fans.

But the way developers are giving out points to only the people that have the utmost determination and dedication to get is certainly missing the fan base. How can we fairly compare a gamerscore of a person who basically has to time attack every level of BF2 to get 1000 points vs. someone who just has to beat story mode on any difficulty to get 1000 points (king kong). I think developers need to realize that having more unlockables isn't as good as having ones that fans won't mind doing. I can think of a million things that would be more fun and productive than playing a mission of BF2 until I get all the stars for a mission. (Frankly I'm not sure thats possible given how easy your team AI will get itself killed so you'll pretty much always have red death anti-stars.)