BATTLEFIELD 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by pianodude123, Mar 26, 2005.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

hi,

As I count the days until the release of battlefield 2, i wonder, Even if i do buy it, what the heck would i play it on. The PowerMac is the only computer I have that can fully support it, but one problem, stupid EA games doesnt realize there are Mac users willing to buy their products and they only sell to PC. I do have a PS2, but i dont think they are going to market there. WHAT SHOULD I DO...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure its pc only. Not to state the obvious, but you either buy a pc or don't get the game Its a shame that Macs suck for gaming. Not that they aren't good gaming machines, but the selection is terrible. I know its getting better, but its far from good.

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You'll have to buy a pc to play Battlefield 2. It depends on how much you want it, and if you think it's worth it to buy a $400 PC.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Plus, with a $400 pc you'll probably have to lower the graphics and not get the full experience.

5. Rocket Rion macrumors regular

A verison of battlefield 2 called Battlefield Modern Warfare will be on the PS2 and Xbox. Of course they won't be as good as the PC version.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

You *could* play BF2 on the Mac...

If and only if it gets ported.

If Dice thinks that BF1942 sold well enough on the Mac, and they aren't anal about protecting their source code now, we'll probably see BF2.

Not making any promises, but it took a while to get the rights to bring BF1942 to the Mac. But we did manage to get it (plus its expansion packs), so it seems like there's some merit for a port of BF2.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Maybe not the full experiance, but these PCs are surprisingly cheap.

Rocket Rion-Modern Warfare is BF2 for the consoles? I though it was a seperate game. Though I guess they really couldn't be. I'm thinking about geting that game. Looks like a good Xbox Live game.

applekid-What if BF 2 uses the new physics engine? What's it called again? Anyway, can't they not port games to the Mac using that engine?

8. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

I believe the issue is less BF2 being ported, and more the severe unlikelihood that the Havok physics engine that it uses will ever be ported. There's more on macs, BF2, and havok, just google it if you're really interested. Anyone who is expecting to see it on the Mac if only for the reason that we have BF1942 has their logic wrong.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Crap, they're using the Havok engine for BF2?

Another one down the drain (as far as Macs go).

COME ON, RELEASE THE HAVOK SDK FOR THE MAC ALREADY!!! :mad:

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That's the name of the engine! Anyway, it's making future porting limted. If Halo 2 were to come out for the PC, it wouldn't make it to the Mac becuase I'm pretty sure Halo 2 uses the Havok engine.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

Another Havok-based game?! Son of a...

Well, we can toss my logic out the window... :)

Ooh, we better see some good news about Havok soon...

12. minkis macrumors regular

well until we get battlefield 2 you can always play the mods like cesert combat, i have the link if anyone is interested

13. brap macrumors 68000

Hmph.

The Battlefield concept only worked in 1942 because of the relative simplicity of the equipment; Vietnam and Desert Combat's use of modern vehicles and weaponry totally spolis it... jet fighters... honestly.

The only way they're going to make modern combat 'simulation' possible is by ever expanding the arena, as they say they're going to do (100 players?!). I just hope they improve the bloody netcode.

14. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

I thought I remembered reading something (maybe by Glenda) about the BF2 / Havok issue...

ok found it, at IMG:
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=333

something about considering working around the engine to port games that depend on them... I think I'll google around for some more...

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

My biggest gripe with Battlefield is the size of the maps. There's no point getting into one of the jets when you're off the map in less than 15 seconds! By that point, I'm just turning around. Bit of a shame, really.

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Forgotten Hope is awesome, by the way. A well done mod with decent realism. It turns BF1942 into a whole new, tougher game! Just wish we could play the latest version, but there's some nasty bugs which are still being investigated.

17. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Also Age of Empires 3 apparently uses it-so no port for that too.

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

And that makes me a sad mac gamer.

19. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Black&Tan:

what are you talking about? This thread has nothing to do with BF1942. Nor mods for BF1942.

It's about BF2.

The doubleposting was slick though :p

20. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I can rest assured that I will be playing Battlefield 2. Not on my mac, though :D

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I was referring back to minkis and braps comments regarding the use of jets in 1942.

My bad...went off on a tangent

:)

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'll just get Modern Combat for the Xbox. It's the next best thing. And besides, the whole Battlefield series has incredible multiplayer, so I can't wait to play it over Xbox Live.

23. minkis macrumors regular

yea i think i'll wait too but will they release it with such short life cycle left on the xbox and ps2, the new platforms are suppose to be coming out this year and next year

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Modern Combat will be released for Xbox, PS2, and the next generation Xbox. As for shorting lives for the consoles, I'm keeping my Xbox for Halo 2 and Xbox Live, unless Xbox 2 really does come with Halo 2.5 and let's you use your old Xbox Live subscription. Actually, I'd keep them anyway.