BattleField 2142 comes with spyware...

Discussion in 'Games' started by saunders45, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Big Companys seem to think they can do whatever they want to, its time to write letters. Contact EA and let them know you wont take it. I was kinda of looking forward to this one but now.

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. They sure are losing my esteem these days. Link Link Link Link

I hope EA Games hasn't reached the dreaded greedy "We know what's best for you" phase.

This is very disapointing. Can this be turned off as an option? I hate being exposed to advertising from a product I purchased. I wouldn't have minded ads if the game was free but then again I would probably have paid for an ad-free version.

3. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

The game sucked as it was.... but EA is just getting rediculous. I've already sent an email stating my 'disdain' for these practices. Let's hope others follow...

4. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Wow. I would never expect such a well known game company to do such a thing. Thats rather upsetting. More push to go to a game console?

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Considering EA - not surprised as no one else should be either

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I would expect large and well known companies to do this more than smaller ones.

So, getting Vista on your PC and installing this game simply puts your PC stat online.... I said it before: isn't freedom about privacy too?

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm not surprised. This just gives me another reason to hate EA.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The worst part?

You HAVE to be online to play BF2142!

Asswads!

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

there goes the rest of your reputation EA
    personally i'm going to avoid EA games even more

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

How can this even be legal? Surely EA have to make you aware of exactly what you're purchasing before you actually buy it? According to that blog, you only discover that spyware is included in your purchase after you buy the game and open it - by which point it might be too late to return the game (depending on the vendor).

Is putting spyware in games not analagous to signing up for a service where they send your information to third parties for advertising purposes? If those people have to mention it before you sign up (there's always a little box which you have to tick/untick to indicate your preference) then don't EA have to something similar before you purchase their software?

Just a thought.

PS - If this is true, I am NOT buying FIFA 2007 this year. :mad:

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I refuse to buy any EA games - especially lately.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

EA sucked a long time ago so this is nothing new. The big boys just keep grinding it in there and we keep sucking it up.

Bless

13. amtctt macrumors regular

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Dude.. WTF is this unlock ****?
    I want to play single-player and I can't get anything unlocked.
    That's BULLS**T!

There's no warning on the external portion of the package that says anything about this spyware. It's only on a sheet on the inside.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Nah. EA Games found a better way than spyware to screw you with Fifa (360). Link Link

16. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I was very pleased and impressed with the depth that the winning eleven series has provided over the last few years

17. astewart macrumors member

EA shouldn't be allowed to do such a thing. EA has forced me to stop buying there games because of this.....:D Now I will have to resort to downloading them for free and finding a Crack to get around this Crap....Thats what they have forced me to do....:eek: :eek:

I'm Joking, but this is how alot of people are going to react to EA's Spyware thingy.....Its there Loss in the Long run...IMHO.

18. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

i think EA will have alot of gamers up in arms over this.

it is an invasion of their rights. moreso than the insidious fileplanet and other companies who are pretty lame.

19. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i found this while researching more info. pure spyware. and i love the part of anonymous info. or as they like to call it. advertising data.

Attached Files:

20. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yikes. So it looks like they don't even allow you to turn it off. They baically tell you: "If you don't want us to give away your personnal info, don't play."

The worst part is that this slips appears to be inside the packaging, so, I don't think you'd be able to retrun the game for refund once you've read it. :/

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Dice has "addressed" the issue and explained exactly what all this is about.

While they don't collect personal information, they DO force feed you ADs in-game (**** THAT, I paid $50 for this game), and they also collect data checking to see how many people "see" the ads in-game, which (to me) means if it's sucessfully getting to X amount of people, we'll see this **** in more and more games.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=K4o3BAki&p_faqid=14211