battlefield 2142

Discussion in 'Games' started by iancapable, Oct 9, 2006.

1. iancapable macrumors 6502

iancapable

Looks stunning! Anyone reckon this will be ported to OSX?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Given that the last Battlefield game to come to the Mac was 1942, no, I don't think so.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that it will be ported for Mac OS X, but I sure wish that it would be. :)

4. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

It's a pity to be honest... One would have thought that people would be porting more to OSX now that it's on intel and is gaining share as quickly as it is.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The limiting factor was not PowerPC, its OpenGL, a crippled OpenGL at that... most games are DirectX9 and porting them over to OpenGL is a tedious job and often results in under performing games, heck, even OpenGL games take a seroius jab when going to OSX (Doom3) as compared to their PC counterparts.

So until Microsoft decides to release DirectX for Mac then I think the Mac Gaming community will have to rely on stuff like Parallels, Cider or even Bootcamp.

6. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

What's wrong with openGL on Mac? I typically have used linux and openGL is fantastic on there generally delivering better benchmarks (for native games) than windows does, infact I could even say cedega games could complete.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

BF2142 is an ace game but I'm sick and tired of the bugs in it. Also, EA are releasing the Northern Strike expansion but have yet to solve most the bugs in the bloody app. Shoddy if you ask me. Plus the spyware/anonymous reporting of internet usage is a joke.

8. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

so, that'l be in 200 years!:eek: :eek:

;)

9. wako macrumors 65816

A better qeustion to the main question is, why would you want to play 2142?! That game is a terrible rip on the franchise. I wish they would just upgrade the engine and work out the many kinks in Battlefield 2.

10. FXRS macrumors newbie

FXRS

I play it all the time with boot camp on my mac book pro and it runs sweet.

Far as the spyware that is really overblown.

Far as some of the bugs, that I don't know about, but what I hate is the apm mines and rdx exploits. What I mean by that is when on the titan and attacking the enemies titan they place apm mines and rdx explosive packs within the titan to kill you. I find that totally annoying and silly. You would think that would harm your ship. Also the enemy will be standing right there flipping the swtch on the rdx explosive. You die and he lives. :(

Do I like it? Yes. Do I dislike it? Yes. lol Guess it seems you gotta take the good with the bad in all games. For me it is spending time with people I've been racing with online for going on 6 years now. Since Papyrus stopped making the Nascar Series we been all still together just playing other games.

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Because it's all Sci-Fi! And they have Titans! Titan mode is wonderful, but yes, there are some damned annoying bugs.

12. sammycl macrumors newbie

bootcamp

get bootcamp the u should be able 2 play it!:)

13. amtctt macrumors regular

i'm addicted to 2142. i think it's pretty fun, i don't think it should have been a $50 title as much as maybe a $30 mod because it is so similar to BF2. i like the reward system though, keeps me coming back for more. Looking forward to Northern Strike and some new unlocks.