Battlefield Vietnam?

Discussion in 'Games' started by FasterSoonerNow, Jun 15, 2004.

1. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    Think Aspyr is looking to port the newest Battlefield game over in the near future?

Granted, Battlefield 1942 Deluxe Edition still hasn't been released (it's about to be)... but it'd be really damn sweet if they managed to get this out within the next few months.
  2. mattmack macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    I would be willing to bet EA would wait a while before releasing the source code like they did for BF 1942. They will do it but not right away. It is a completely new engine then BF 1942
  3. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Fullerton, California

lets took them around 1 year and a half to actually annouce battle field 1942 to the mac, its been taking 2+ months to actually release estimate on battle field vietnam....3 years...
  4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    A game release getting dragged out with no end in sight?! Our worst fears, the Mac gamers' Vietnam!
  5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    Which is why I've got it for the PC
  6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I don't think BF Vietnam will be released on the Mac, especially as BF 2 is not far off. I expect someone will port BF 2 to the Mac instead because it looks like a better game. Because BF 2 is coming on the PC, Xbox and PS2. Hopefully that will mean that if someone does get around to porting it to the Mac, Mac and PC users will be able to play against each other online.
  7. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    im about to upgrade my computer-(see sig), i am up for a bit of gaming and was looking at possibly call of duty, but what would you suggest is better BF1942 or call of duty, what are the multiplayer modes like on each, does BF 1942 have single player mode?

Im very ignorant so any help would do. :)
  8. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    IMO, I like CoD better. It looks better and plays better. But I'm sure there's no end of arguments for each one being better.
    Each of them has MP modes. Both have an SP mode as well. BF1942 is more dynamic then CoD, you can change the rules in SP, so you won't necessarily have the same game everytime. The same maps, but varying degrees of AI stupidity. You can also switch sides (axis/allies) in BF1942.
  9. FasterSoonerNow thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004

The thing that puts Battlefield 1942 over all competition is it's sheer size and all that it allows you to do. You can stay on the ground and do battle there all you want... Or you can home in a plane and fly around, bombing enemies, dogfighting other planes, or just plain screwing around.

Not to mention the tanks, jeeps, battlecruisers, ships, etc.

Battlefield 1942 is simply the most versatile WWII game of all time, and that's why it's at the top of my list.

And the thing is... I played singleplayer all of maybe 2 or 3 times.

If you want a good singleplayer game, go with Call of Duty, unquestionably..

If you want the better multiplayer experience, definitely choose BF1942.
  10. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2003
    Is there an option to shoot at Vietnam War protestors as you get off the airplane? ;) :eek:
    What if you only get to shoot them when you spit at you? :D
  11. enclave macrumors member

Feb 24, 2004
    No it isn,t , the engine is the same, they just changed the renderer
  12. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    Vietnam would be kool

I would definately buy vietnam if the specs were right for it.
  13. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    the graphics in battlefield vietnam aren't THAT much better than in battlefield 1942. the gameplay is essentially the same. it is pretty glitchy too...i regret purchasing the game. a complete waste of 40 or 50's just hard for me to realize that i have counter-strike and cs:cz and i won't be needing anything else :p
  14. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    BF2 would be a much better game. Vietnam sounds too glitchy, but this last patch might have fixed it up enough.

Either way, I want my BF1942 now!