Battlestations: Midway on the xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by quagmire, Jan 22, 2007.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The demo for it is out and the full game comes out on February 1st. You have to be patient in the beginning. It is very tricky to figure out the game and how to operate things. Once you figure the game out, it is very fun to play. I am liking this game. Now in the demo, the Japanese side has a huge advantage over the Americans. Now the game is very realistic. The battleships move slowly! VERY VERY SLOWLY! Only 25 knots. But, its fire power is terrifying. And it can take damage pretty well and can really be defeated by another battleship only. So a destroyer and cruiser has pretty much no chance against the battleship unless you want to risk it and torpedo it. The ships do have weak spots and you have to find it. The planes are tricky to control. The up and down controls are swapped and not realistic. As in point the stick up, it goes up instead of down. Using the map is tricky. The graphics in the game is impressive, IMHO.

The mission for the Japanese in the demo is to sink the Yorktown and Enterprise and destroy the ship yard. Which is very easy to do. Because the Americans have to split their forces to go protect the carriers, destroy the ship yard, and destroy the airfield. The Japanese can just go in and do the ship yard and go get the carriers afterwards.

I can't wait until the full game comes out.

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I am looking forward to this as well. Before I played the demo I thought it was going to be another blazing angels - WOW it turned out to be so much more. I can't wait to get the full version and a listing of everything in the game as well as its capabilities (the ships and planes and subs that is)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

didnt like it. thought it was a bit of a turkey.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Err, 25 knots is pretty fast for a huge ship.

5. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

huh? is that a typo? I usually like things to go up when I push up...

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it's not a typo. Most flight sims always invert the axis so you pull down and go up, and vice versa. :)

7. kjr39 macrumors 6502

As do most planes.... :p

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i wished my submarine in silent hunter 3 could reach 25 knots under water ... 3-7 knots is hardly what i call blazing fast

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

most ? ;) :D

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Well yeah, 25 knots for that big of a ship is pretty decent, but it is still pretty slow in game and in real life. Let's see..... the Iowa Class Battleship. Containing the Iowa, Missouri, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Top speed is 35 knots. Pretty fast for a 6.02 ton ship. 10 knots faster then the in game ships. The Arizona had a top speed of 21 knots. That was a WWI battleship. Although it was modernized a couple of times. Anyway, if you play it you will agree it is slow in game.

Anyway, was playing again. On the Japanese side. My support quit and then I knew I was going to lose. But, I kept on fighting. They destroyed my ship port leaving me with only deploying 4 ships( can only launch 2 at a time). All Battleships. Of course my opponent did the same. My kill to sunk ratio was 4 to 1. I sunk 4 of his ships for every time he sunk 1 of my battleships. I got really good at this game. It took over an hour for him to defeat my battleships. One of them could of been half damaged while his was full health. I destroyed him pretty easily and received minimal damage. After I lost I told him how amazed at what I did. He went, " Shut up" and kicked me right afterwards. I love this game. :D

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Downloaded the demo today, seems like a good strategic game.