Bavid Blaine to DROWN

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Les Kern, May 1, 2006.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

3. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Wondering the same thing! I'd love to freak some people out :cool:

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

and while interesting, what really is the point to all these things?

Unless he dies in one of these stunts, I don't think he'll ever be the legend that houdini was.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

man i wish there were a live web-cam of that. i'm just all too curious about, uh, stuff.

he's a bit strange but i find myself intrigued.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Blaine does boring things for long periods of time. Big woop. I think the magic is that anybody is still interested in his crap.

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Wires, Camera Angles and an announcer going "now remember, he's not using any wires!"

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

These aren't "magic" tricks. He's not even a magician anymore. He's a "Guinness Book" monkey who tries to break meaningless records. In fact, if there was a section in the Guiness Book dedicated David Blane for trying to break the most world records, he'd probably try to break that record.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But then, every copy of the book in the world would implode due to a lack of logic.
    I remember hearing about people grilling food right outside it. :D

10. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Without starting an argument, I can tell you thats not how its done, no wires are involved.

I will not however tell you how its done, magicians code...

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

google tells all secrets :p

12. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

He recently said he wasn't going to do any more "tricks" in the UK because of the "welcome" us Brits gave him :D

Good riddance, I say.

13. iGav macrumors G3

That's because he made a mistake by doing it south of the river. ;) :p :p

14. mpw Guest

Bavid's a loon, a entertaining and clever loon at times but a loon all the same. There was an interview on breakfast TV in the UK a little while ago that confirmed that where he grunted his way through the interview and then held up his hand with an eye drawn on it as if his hand was to finish the interview for him, cuckcoo.

This water stunt is a bit odd and the breath holding finale is similar to what the top free-divers do, sans escapology, only they don't have an O² tube to saturate their blood with O² over the week before.

It reminds me of Finding Nemo, I hope he has a good filter and didn't have a big slap-up curry to see him through the week without food. Or will someone come along each day and sprinkle flaked food in the top of the globe?

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And throwing things at the box... He wasn't eating but he was still taking liquid sustenance through his drip.

Can't see the point of his stunts other than self publicity.

16. mpw Guest

Didn't Sir Paul McCartney throw eggs or something at him?

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would have thrown salami at his box. Nothing like the sound of salami slapping your box to wake your hungry, crazy ass up.

The stuff sticks, too. Imagine him waking up and seeing nothing but salami stuck to his glass box and hearing my muffled voice through his box, telling him that he's a frackin™, pickle-smoking™ toolbox™?

18. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

He's unique, and in a world full of sameness, I actually enjoy his eccentricity. And some of his card tricks ARE amazing.
    As for his stunts, they're designed to test the limits, and are not magic. I got it... try one yourself and see how long you last in a block of ice or on top a pole.
    And he's an ENTERTAINER. Fancy editing counts as part of the mis-direction on the TV audience. Actually pretty clever of him... had me trying to figure it out for months.
    As for the Brits reaction to him... gee it figures. In a culture where it's almost a mortal sin to be different... well, you know the rest.

19. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

He could use an egg or two himself, the selfish-egotist-hiding-behind-phoney-altruism Sir Pauly.
    McCartney and Lennon INDEED! When he passes I want it to be Starr/Lennon/Harrison/WhatHisName
    (He HAS done some wonderful things in his wifes name though)

20. mpw Guest

:confused:

I find Britian to be one of the more cosmopoltan and inclusive cultures certainly more so than the US.

I don't totally disagree but you can't call him selfish. He bought his current wife a plane for her birthday, and a Ladyshave for her other leg! Boom-boom.

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Watch it monkey boy, some of us Sarf Londoners know a fraud when we see one.

I personally thought the guy with the RC helicopter and the bacon and eggs suspended underneath was the highlight of that little stunt...

Blaine lost the plot years ago, I saw his street levitation trick and it's just that, a trick, my brother in law can do it, it's just angles and misdirection, as most "magic" is.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm not so sure. The Brits have a fairly large population of eccentrics who are pretty different.

I do enjoy his card tricks and the sleight of hand impressions. I have more appreciation for the endurance feats of standing in ice or in a small pole.

Sitting in a perspex box and fasting just didn't seem like a particularly interesting thing to do. At a time when there are global issues with starvation, watching someone doing it for publicity (while not trying to draw attention to the plight of those genuinely starvnig) seemed wrong. If he'd been collecting cash from those who came to see him to pass to aid agencies, I'd have had less of an issue seeing it as pointless.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you mean by "fancy editing"? How does he do half the crap he does?

It's funny, because before, I didn't care one iota. I didn't know how he did it, but I knew it was bullsnarf, and so I told myself it didn't matter "how".

Years later, I want to know. :confused:

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Agreed. I think the problems Blaine experienced when he tried to wow us in his box stemmed from the fact that we're not generally fans of arrogant people who expect us to be impressed by their pointless antics.

On the other hand, we love people like Lloyd Scott... :)

25. alexprice macrumors 6502a

It just a way of him making himself famous. I think alot of people would like to be famous, this is his way.