bay area superbowl?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 30, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the afc, the oakland raiders are the best team in the conference with home field advantage throughout the playoffs

in the nfc, the san francisco 49ers have won their division but have to struggle through a wildcard game next week with the new york giants

...some time back, i predicted a bay area world series between the oakland A's and the san francisco giants but only the giants made it to the series

so what's the chance for a bay area bowl?

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

One or more likely both of those teams will CHOKE.

3. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

I hope there is not, I hate the Raiders I think they should Die, I lilke the 49'ers though, the Raiders are just way to over rated.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think the 49ers don't have the depth to get to the superbowl, but they can get lucky if people on other teams get injured

the raiders can get there but they are not as strong as any of the nfc division champs (except a banged up 49ers) to pull off a superbowl victory

but a 49ers-raiders superbowl, which has never happened before, would be great and be close if it happened

the 49ers will play tonight and had an extra day to recuperate and will lay off their starters after the first quarter to get healthy since they got really injured this season and were using third stringers during some games in some positions:(

5. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

The Black Hole

The road to the superbowl has to go to the Black Hole in Oakland, and I don't care what anyone else says, but that is one of the toughest stadiums to play in especially during the playoffs. The fans/convicts will tear up anyone and everyone rooting against the raiders. I was at a playoff game a couple of years ago, and I saw raider fans beat up a titans fan who was in a wheelchair.

So beware all those Steelers, Jets, and Titans fans, if you go to the black hole you'll never come out alive.

Go Raiders!!!

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

isnt the superbowl supposed to be in candlestick next year?

7. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I think the Raiders have a shot, if the Titans don't knock them out first. SF, on the other hand, will be beaten by the Giants, who always come up big at the end of the season. My prediction:
    EAGLES over Raiders, 24-14.

E-A-G-L-E-S! EAGLES!!

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: The Black Hole

during the days of coach madden and stabler, the fans in oakland were so glad to see them they attacked stabler out of love...raiders style

...spitting on their own players:p

...beats the D batteries showered on john rocker

9. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I can't believe I'm saying this, cuz I don't much care for organized sports, but...

GO BAY AREA! KICK SOME BOOTY!

Wow. And to think, when I moved here I couldn't have cared less.

Dan

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

tomorrow, we find out if the 49ers advance to the next round of the playoffs

the raiders have a first round bye so they get to rest

11. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

Could it be NY/NY?

Who knows? It could end up being the Jets vs. the Giants! Wouldn't that attract a big west coast TV audience?!!?

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Could it be NY/NY?

jets look good

don't know bout giants

update: giants lose to 49ers just after 5 pm pst

so the ny-ny superbowl is out for this year and the all bay area superbowl hope is alive for yet another week

next weekend, the 49ers have to beat the tampa bay bucs and the raiders have to beat the ny jets...the work is cut out for both california teams

i see the raiders barely scraping thru the afc, but almost any challenger in the nfc will clean their slate in the big game...they did lose four games in a row during the season so they don't have a rock solid superbowl caliber team

the 49ers have almost no chance of getting thru the nfc and if they do, they will probably not be able to handle some of the afc teams alive in the playoffs now

the raiders and niners would be a good game with a slight edge right now to the raiders...unless the niners get healthy really quick...which is unlikely

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Dr Z of www.cnnsi.com puts the bucs over the niners this weekend which is no surprise

but he also puts the jets over the raiders, which i think will be a really close one

but so much for an all bay area superbowl if dr. zimmerman is correct

and let's say the niners get past the bucs, they will most likely have to face philly which does not look good

and if the raiders get past the jets, they will most likely have to then get past the titans who i haven't been watching too closely all year..but if they get that far, they will have to stop the titans run

heck, the odds were much better for an all bay area world series a few months back!

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

no all bay area superbowl this year

raiders won and advanced to afc conference playoffs but 49ers lost

well, i could look forward to next year:confused:

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You mean for a Jets/Giants Superbowl?
    :D

16. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

The only way it'll be a "bay area" Super Bowl now is if Tampa "Bay" plays the Raiders! But that'll never happen, cause the Birds are gonna whip the Bucs next Sunday. I've been looking forward to the Eagles/Raiders rematch for 22 years, and I think a rematch will finally happen for the Championship! Only the outcome will be way different. My prediction:
    Eagles 24, Oakland 10. Fly EAGLES, Fly!!!!

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

of course, i will root for the raiders if they go against tampa bay or the eagles...but realistically, either team right now looks like they can easily beat the raiders 24-10

the raiders have to first get past the titans

the nfc looks like the touger conference this time around