Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Community' started by cypher, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cypher macrumors member

I saw this movie for the first time today and was really confused by the opening scene. Why are Sampson and Gregory servents of the house of Montague and Abraham a servant of the Capulets. Isn't this supposed to be the other way around? What was the reason for reversing teh roles, if at all it was intentional.

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Surprising that you would gloss over the myriad other ways the script was hacked up and lines were horribly delivered (particularly by one eternally prepubescent megastar). That being said, I like Luhrman's adaption a lot. You kind of have to go with the flow, though.

Bonus points for whoever can tell me what hit television show (currently running) has in its cast the scene-stealing actor who played Mercutio in 'Romeo + Juliet.'

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Os?

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Nope. He was in Oz, but it doesn't run anymore (not new shows, anyway).

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ah yes... Personally I find that there's a character like that in all of Shakespeare's plays. It's less to do with the actor than the fact that the character actually has more depth and vibrance than the Principles. I think it's part of Shakespeare's personal style to spoof the main characters with suporting roles that are inherelntly more human, wise and sympathetic.

I always thought of this as a subtle stab at classist society in which the "supporting cast" of service workers often do more work and have more compassion than the drama queens that get recorded by history.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Lost of course... :)

7. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Admittedly, yes, Mercutio is very well written. Probably an actor's dream. Still, I think Perrineau pulled it off really well. Extremely different from his character in Lost. (Points for SilentPanda).

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I played Mercutio in Romeo & Juliet about the time this particular movie adaption came about... I was thrilled to get the part because of his role in the movie which I liked very much. I thought the whole movie was well done... but I'm not a stickler for Shakespeare either so anything that was "off" in the movie would've been missed by myself.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well it's brand spanking over here. :eek:

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Personally I think Shakespeare would have approved of it had he been around to see it.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I haven't fully 'got into it' if you know what I mean but I'm really enjoying it still. It's on Monday nights at about 9:30pm so it's hard to watch regularly and there seems to be a lot of character development going on which I miss out on because I usually only ever get to watch a few episodes a month. :(

Still, I'm quite a big fan all things considered.