BBC Article on Vista turns into Advert for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elppa, Jan 24, 2007.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I thought it was funny.

Read some of the comments. Apple could almost stop advertising as some of them are practically quoted line for line from the get a mac pafes.

To be fair, the article was about “The Battle of the Operating Systems”, but it is unlikely it would have written if Vista wasn't arriving next week.

2. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Interesting that they going to pick a representative of each OS to have a (presumably televised) debate.

When I have seen that sort of thing in the past, they usually pick the least articulate Mac user they can find. :rolleyes:

Could be an idea for someone from this forum to join the fray...

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Paul Thurrott's head has to be on the verge of exploding.

4. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

The Linux users made a late rally and ended up doing quite well. FWIW they have finished taking responces, so I totted up the results:

Mac OS X — 24
    Linux (or specifically Ubuntu) — 16
    Vista (or Windows) — 10
    No Preference — 2
    Mac OS 8.2** — 1
    Amiga — 1

Whichever way you try and spin this, it doesn't look that good for Windows. Perhaps Microsoft will blame voter apathy.

** Was there such a thing? I remember 8.1, 8.5 and 8.6, I have no recollection of 8.2. The only reference I found to this was a Wikipedia article which stated this was the name given to the beta of 8.5.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, it was just a beta, and a pretty cool one. It had the genie effect that was never used again until OS X. 8.2 is code named Snowman.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Really interesting. I'd never heard of it. How'd it have the Genie effect?? However 8.2 in this article /must/ be a typo of 8.5.

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that there was a movie named "The Snowman" released in 1982. :D

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

even mr "i want to hump windows most hours of the day" seems to be liking macs more. he's even got macs at home :eek: :D

8. aussieNickuss macrumors newbie

Yeh....didn't he buy a mini for his wife?...becuase it was easier to use and more stable and reliable!

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hey.. cool!

This was a "real" OS 8-beta, and not some beta of Copland?
    Any screesnhots?? :apple:

10. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Amazing how many Linux people responded,... Linux makes my head hurt

11. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the adds for Vista and it seems to look a lot like OSX :p

Like MS couldn't come up with their own ideas for features to put into a new OS. Either that or they're just years behind apple in developing software.

>Their new icon tray on the right side of the start bar looks more like the the umm whatever it is on the top right hand side of the macs.

>their high speed search

>better security hahahahahahahahaha

>and that thing where you see the little preview for the windows that are minimized is like a crappy copy of OSX's expose.

The overall styling also more like OSX in my opinion.