BBC director general Dyke stands down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGav, Jan 29, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

If the government aren't careful they are going to look vindictive over this. Now Dyke has gone I think that's it. Blair should be careful about criticizing the BBC for running stories based on dodgy evidence until we find some WMDs:)

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

For once in my life (I hate to say this) I had to agree with a daily mail editorial comment today:eek:

The line was along lines of

...so we have the sickening sight of the head of the BBC resigning whilst Alistair Campbell crows from the top of his dunghill...

Now Blair's acting as if he's never ever lied about anything....errrr. Where's those WMD then Mr Blair?

Hutton - no other whitewash comes close.

4. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Although I agree with this, I'd keep quiet about the Daily Mail bit if I was you:D

5. drMinky macrumors newbie

You'd think Hutton would've thrown in at least a scrap of criticism for the govt, just to make it look vaguely plausable, But no! Sunday Bloody Sunday all over again? Oh Look, Hutton's even from Ulster, too! What a coincidence...

To make matters worse, not only is the WMD thing obviously a lie to everyone in the world except Blair, a second justification has been scuppered too - the so-called democracy argument has taken a bit of a battering over the last few weeks aswell - Its looking more like plans for an appointocracy of late (in the great middle-eastern colonial tradtion, of course)

..and with the inevitable castrating of the BBC's ability to criticise, question or investigate, it looks like Iraq's 'democracy' is not the only one on shaky ground at the moment...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well thankfully us across the "Pond" will have a chance to hold accountable those that claimed the "war" on Iraq was necessary because of WMD. In the end $100 billion US (and the countless lives lost, lest we forget) for what?

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I don't think the Beebs ability to challenge and criticise is been questioned, but they F**ked up BIG, BIG time on this occasion and now they are going to pay a very, very hefty price.

I find it funny that the majority of the media prior yesterday, all pretty much were not questioning Lord Huttons integrity... yet because his report didn't go the media's way, all of a sudden they're trying to discredit him.

Something needs to be done about the media in this country, because they are going way out control... first off though... the Beeb needs to be independently monitored like the rest of the channels.

But the Beebs real judgement day will occur in '06...

8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I'm under the impression that most of Gilligans article was correct but that was not addressed by this verdict. He himself admits he got bits wrong and the BBC in general did **** up but aren't the government partly to blame? I mean wasn't this report about why David Kelly killed himself? I was under the impression that him being named by the government was a key incident that lead to his suicide.

Plus I have heard countless people being interviewed on TV and in articles who seem to be of the opinion that Alli Campbell wasn't turned on enough by the dossier.