BBC iPlayer App ->(Airplay)-> ATV results in "An error has occurred"

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by melvynadam, Jun 24, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I am outside the UK but using BBC iPlayer (via a VPN connection) on a 4th gen iPad as well as my iPhone 4. The playback is flawless - stutter free and crisp.

Yet, when I try to Airplay it to my Apple TV (3rd generation) I get an error on-screen: "An error has occurred".

I know I'm not the first to see this but I can't find answers. Anyone got a solution I can try?

2. macrumors regular

This happens often with the live feeds I find. Have never found a clear answer why.

3. macrumors newbie

When you Airplay you remove the middle device like an iPad, so all of a sudden the BBC knows you are not in the UK.
    If the ATV was configured for the unblock service as well then it should work.

4. macrumors regular

Ahh, but it is. I use my ATV to receive US Netflix (outside of the US of course).

----------

I can also Airplay any bbc show that is archived rather than live streaming.

5. macrumors newbie

Because I use a DNS service (StreamVia) and modify the DNS server setting in my router to their DNS, anything that I connect to for iPlayer works well.

6. macrumors 6502a

dugbug

crackle used to do this a lot when it returned from playing an interstitial ad.
    Does bbc player interrupt streams for ads? It may not have anything to do with your DNS, location, etc.