BBC iPlayer for iPad Going International: Western Europe Today, U.S. and Others Later This Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Guardian reports that the BBC is finally set to launch its popular iPlayer service on an international basis, rolling out a new iPad app to eleven countries in Western Europe today and to the United States, Canada, and Australia by the end of the year.
    According to BBC.com managing director Luke Bradley-Jones, the service will include video-on-demand content from the last month, with other "best of" content stretching back decades also being made available. At least 1,500 hours of programming will be available at launch, with at least 100 additional hours being added every month.

[​IMG]

The BBC reports that it worked closely with Apple on the new offline functions, working to override the standard automatic sleep settings for the iPad in order to allow content to download overnight in advance of going offline.
    The global iPlayer project, which is separate from the UK-specific iPlayer program, is a one-year pilot project focused on the iPad, with an eye toward refining the offerings and expanding to more devices, platforms, and markets over time.

Article Link: BBC iPlayer for iPad Going International: Western Europe Today, U.S. and Others Later This Year

2. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

3. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hbo go app for uk plz! Yeap i know im dreaming with that one!

4. macrumors regular

This is cool. I could see paying a couple bucks a month for BBC content. I hope they let us stream content to an Apple TV using Airplay. HBO GO doesn't let me do it, but I've already got HBO on my main TV. Then again, I don't have all the back HBO content.

All these streaming apps should just let us use Airplay.

5. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1. Very +1 in fact.

American TV studios. Want to stop illegal torrenting of your content overnight? Just launch a similar app using subs for international users. We will pay it!

6. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Now the rest of the World can watch EastEnders!

You lucky lucky people :)

7. zin
    macrumors 6502

So is offline viewing and storage coming to the UK version? I don't get why international customers get more whilst us, the license payers, get shafted.

I suppose it'll arrive soon, though.

8. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If a similar application were to be launched for the MBA, I'd most certainly be in the market for it.

However, as I already have a MBA, I don't really need (or want) an iPad.

Cheers

9. macrumors member

Iron Curtain

So sad to see that the Iron Curtain has not fallen yet.

10. macrumors 65816

parish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My thoughts exactly. Time the BBC remembered where their funding comes from! Although, personally, I think the TV Licence should be scrapped and the Beeb go commercial. It made sense 60 years ago when the BBC was the only broadcaster, but these days it's just another tax.

For those outside the UK who don't know, we have to buy a TV Licence which is about £170 ($~260US €190) per year. This is not just to watch BBC but for any "TV receiving equipment" which includes TV cards in a PC

11. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Downloaded from Irish app store, and just bought the year for €49.99 ..

Cheaper than trying to buy a proxy IP address and all those hassles that go with it (having to change back when I want to view my own countries tv programs)..

12. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hopefully a iPod/iPhone version follows soon.

13. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

But will we be able to watch Martin Brundle and David Coulthard's F1 coverage?

The Formula One coverage in the US is abysmal.

14. macrumors member

That would be advertising and subscriptions.

BBC Worldwide is a commercial business which receives no licence fee funding, but generates profits that are reinvested in domestic public services.

As, incidentally, do most countries in Europe. The majority of countries in the world use either a licence fee, direct taxation, or indirect taxation via government grants to support public service broadcasting.

15. macrumors member

I highly doubt it. The Global iPlayer only provides content where BBC Worldwide hold distribution rights in the relevant country. This means it will exclude some programming that airs on BBC channels in the UK and includes content from rival broadcasters.

And also CBC's Being Erica. The BBC hold the worldwide rights outside Canada, despite selling it to E4 in the UK, and so it is included despite not being a "BBC show' in anyone's general understanding.

Sporting rights outside the broadcaster's own territory are almost always retained by the governing body unless it is something that only has domestic interest.

16. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Which is why I have a UK VPN to get my F1 fix.

If F1 offered it as a direct subscription, like MLB does with MLB.tv, I would gladly subscribe...

17. macrumors 68020

scirica

Will there be any live streaming? That is the main reason I have a UK vpn for the BBC live shows. Looks like a lot of archived content?

18. macrumors 68030

i think this is fantastic. now if only HBO would smarten up b/c here in Canada, you have to be an HBO subscriber to get the i-content.

But I don't have cable or satellite. We weren't watching a lot of TV for the amount we were paying.

But if HBO had a similar program, I'd be a subscriber b/c I want to watch their shows.

Same with the BBC.

Maybe this is the slow start of an evolution which sees users having direct access to content instead of being shackled into having other payments as well.

well done BBC!

19. macrumors regular

leon44

Well no it's

£145.50

and worth every penny!

20. macrumors 68030

Extremely unlikely. And I expect pretty much every professional broadcaster to block Airplay mirroring too.

I understand Airplay mirroring in an attempt to force the issue has gone down about as well with the networks as Google TV's assumption that all these sites would just be allowed to work if they supported Flash has.

Phazer

21. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

BBC iPlayer my ar5e.......

A lot of stuff is missing......

I can't seem to get Eastenders for example.
    No, QI
    No, Royale Family !!!!!!!!
    No, LarkRise to Candleford
    No, Sherlock

And the list of missing shows goes on

Think I just wasted €50 :eek: :( :(

22. macrumors 68030

That's made pretty clear in the description. Why the hell did you press the year's subscription button before looking what was on it???

Phazer

23. MRU, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

In what description?

Certainly did not say in iTunes that it didn't contain those shows?

So where is this list of exclusions? Those shows are all over a month old...

No they can't. It's not on...

24. captain kaos, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Here in Oz good tv is very hard to find! We've tried the proxy route put the bottle neck makes it impossible to view. This will be well worth the money. Question: do you think the ipad would be able to push this to an apple tv via airplay?

25. macrumors 603

firestarter

I got rid of my TV, because there was such a lot of junk on. Much of the BBC's programming is lowest-common-denominator trash - Brucie on dancing programmes, dumbed down lifestyle stuff, 'comforting' presenters (alan Titchmarsh etc), sentimental soaps. I'd prefer them to be broken up and the public's money distributed to a wider range of smaller broadcasters.

I'd happily pay €49.99 for a 'best of' selection on the iPad, but I definitely won't (and don't) pay £145.50.