Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC had previously announced that they would be launching their iPlayer service for the iPhone and iPod touch. Yesterday, BBC officially launched a Beta of their iPlayer for iPhone. iPhone and iPod touch users who navigate to the iPlayer site are now be greeted with some limited streamable content.

While there was some speculation that the release may be related to Apple's SDK, the service is based entirely in the iPhone's Safari browser. Available BBC content has been encoded into h.264 for native playback within Safari.

Only a limited selection is currently available, and content is geographically restricted to UK residents.

Article Link

greenyboy411

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
to be exact, the video content is geographically restricted the radio stuff, like on computers is open to anyone. my radio-obsessed parents are wetting themselves right now....

felixkunze

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
West Sussex, UK
Someone needs to get a list put up of whats actually working on the iPhone iPlayer at the moment. I couldn't find anything that's actually working when I tried to view it here in sunny england.

UltraNurd

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2003
Watertown, MA
Maybe a dumb question... but why can't international users pay some fee to access the content (something like the fee people pay in the UK, with possible extra to cover that we're not paying any taxes that help subsidize the programming)?

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
i just wish they could have some bbc stuff available to buy through itunes, i would buy some episodes of the office (liked that version better than the US series we have)

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The only things I can find that work are Spartacus, the one show, and Panorama.

Still, a step in the right direction. Quality looks pretty good to me.

RevolutionOne

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Essex, UK
the quality is really good. I can't wait for them to get more content to stream.

This actually makes me want a 3g iphone to be available to use this anywhere..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.