1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

BBC iPlayer Updated for iPhone 5 (UK Only)

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

BBC's iPlayer app has been updated for the iPhone 5, bringing full 16:9 viewing to the app -- a welcome addition for UK television watchers. The BBC iPlayer for iPhone launched last December, bringing Live TV and Radio along with catch-up TV over Wi-Fi and cellular to the device.

[​IMG]
    One feature still missing is full support for AirPlay, though users can use AirPlay mirroring to send programs to the Apple TV.
    BBC iPlayer is a free download for users in the UK. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BBC iPlayer Updated for iPhone 5 (UK Only)

2. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun

3. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Lord, I hate when people say 'Telly'.

4. macrumors 68030

I love the word telly.

5. macrumors regular

Telly! Telly! Telly! Telly!

6. afd
    macrumors 6502a

That screen in corner of our lounge definitely a telly, and I'm pretty sure iplayer has had full AirPlay support for a while. Certainly has with new app.

7. Porco, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

macrumors 68000

Porco

Come on now everyone, if someone doesn't like people saying 'Telly' we shouldn't keep saying 'Telly' at them purely because they don't like people saying 'Telly'.

BTW, does anyone remember what that actor was in the TV (not Telly) show Kojak? Terence… Todd… Terry?! No, it's gone from my memory, never mind.

8. macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

At least AirPlay mirroring works with the BBC iPlayer from iOS devices - unlike Channel 4's 4OD app which displays a placeholder image on the TV screen instead of the video. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors member

I like your style! :D

This App came in very handy in the summer for watching GB gold medals while I was on the train to the Olympic Park, so I welcome the updates.

PS - Telly Savalas, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't even born then!

10. macrumors member

I think that Airplay works!

Double Tap Home Button > Swipe Left 2 times > Select Airplay Button > Select Apple TV and then I can see what I want on my big screen via my ATV3.

Is anyone getting different results?

11. iknowitall, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

macrumors newbie

AirPlay (video) does work for 4OD app, I use it all the time as does iPlayer. iTV and Channel5 app doesn't.

12. macrumors newbie

AirPlay works just fine on iPlayer. 4OD works for some content, but not others depending on their license agreements I think.

13. Dagless, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

macrumors Core

Dagless

"Your mother is so fat when she fell down the stairs I thought Eastenders was going off"

14. macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You will be thinking of Telly Savalas... 118 episodes! Wow!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001699/

15. macrumors regular

I've been able to get airplay to work for a while. Maybe the article means there is no airplay button in the app itself, such as there is when you have on screen controls for a video from the store.

What I can't get to work is watching the iPlayer desktop app from my MacBook Air using Airplay - I don't get any sound. Anyone got this to work?

16. macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Ah… it must be the content I'm choosing then.
    I think it may have been episodes of Homeland or possibly Friday Night Dinner that wouldn't AirPlay…

17. macrumors member

I'm glad this works via AirPlay through Apple TV. 4OD doesn't, but watching that darn thing is so frustrating anyway, SO MANY ADVERTS.

18. macrumors 6502a

Unless anything's changed, you're quite right. Not sure what they're on about.

(edit: yes it still works fine)

19. macrumors regular

But it also seems quite intelligent. I've been getting frustrated with the ads, but last night I started watching Homeland at 12.30 (a.m.) and there was only one short ad at the beginning. They've got some clever stuff going on which seems to deliver different ads and different quantities at different times...

Tiptopp