BBC now trialling programme downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mustafa, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mustafa macrumors regular

The BBC is listening to its customers and is trialling making programmes available by download as an alternative to streaming via Real Audio.

It's only one programme so far, but it works well and I imported it direct into iTunes very quickly this morning. OK, it's only an mp3, when an m4b would have been preferable, but it's a start. At least there's a Mac button.

I suggest we all try it, and give the BBC feedback via the form provided. To find the programme, go into www.bbc.co.uk and search for 'download programmes'.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Is it Radio only?

I would love other programmes like Top Gear! :D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can you give a link Mustafa? Searching "download programmes" doesn't do you much good :(

4. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

If you search it comes up third in the list! But here it is anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/mp3.shtml

I didn't say it was an interesting programme, BTW.

And yes, it is radio only -- one step at a time.

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Worked fine for me. It's about time that the BBC experimented with options other than RealPlayer as I can't stand the thing.

6. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

You can also download 'fighting talk' from the BBC Radio FiveLive website

I quite enjoy this programme - its a sports based topical debate type thing. Its not as good as when Johhny Vaughan presented it, but still well worth a listen.

7. grobbins macrumors member

What problem have you had with RealPlayer 10?

8. Mustafa thread starter macrumors regular

Since I got a Mac, I've had no problem with RealPlayer, but I don't really want to listen to streaming audio very often. I'd much rather download a file into iTunes so that I can listen to it on my iPod when it suits me. At last we can do that without having to hijack the stream in real time and then convert it to an approriate format.

As I mentioned above, ideally I'd like it in a format that would allow me to bookmark it, but I guess it's up to us as users to let the BBC know what we want.

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I often listen to the BBC's radio comedy, or watch the bbc news - but I really dislike Real's codec. It does the job ok, but I think Quicktime would do better - isn't it streaming MPEG-4? Imagine watching near-dvd quality broadcasts on a medium-strength broadband connection!

Well, I was impressed with the streaming keynotes anyway...

Hob

oh yeah - and Melvyn Bragg... hahahahahahahaha (listen to Dead Ringers)

10. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Thanks for the link Mustafa, like you said it's just the beginning but I let them know (in an adult manner) how peeved I was by the Beeb using M$ biased media especially their broadband service(whatever happened to Quicktime?)
    and mentioned the advent of H.264-Tiger(I'm sure they'll listen to me :rolleyes: )
    it's a pity whe're such a small minority and can't change the minds of the BBC,ITV,Channel4 etc.. about the lack of Mac friendly media content, I just think Quicktime is and will continue to be far superior to other mainstream media players for the Mac, so everybody just click the link for an uninspiring discussion and say thanks for including Macs and when will we be included in more interesting programmes preferably moving pictures and sound :) :p